Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 Civic radiator fan not running?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Default 95 Civic radiator fan not running?

My daughters 95 Civic is over heating and leaking radiator fluid. I can't see any leaks, but it seems to leave a puddle when parked but not ever time its parked. The radiator fan will not come on as well. Can a bad thermostat cause the fan not to work? Any links to pics showing how to change thermostat, water pump etc would be helpful.

Thanks for your help

Old 11-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The 2-wire coolant temperature switch for the radiator fan is located on the thermostat housing. Remove the connector and jump it with a short piece of wire (insert each exposed end of wire into one terminal of the connector). If the fan now runs continuously when the key is turned ON, then the switch is bad and must be replaced.

Replace the thermostat (diagram) and the radiator cap, and then bleed the cooling system (diagram). Then go from there.

Name:  picture_1610.jpg
Views: 14819
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  picture_1611.jpg
Views: 6196
Size:  132.7 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 11-03-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the thermostat is bad, the engine will overheat yet the fan will not come on.

Like Ron said, always replace the thermostat first in a case of overheating, and if the problem continues, investigate further.

Do the fan test as well. You can also leave the jumper in and test-drive with the fan on all the time. If it stays cool you can use it like that until you can get a new switch. If it still overheats it's definitely not fan related then. Do not leave the fan on all the time permanently because the motor will wear out.

Edit: Also note that the thermostat housing pictured is where the LOWER radiator hose meets the engine. Not the upper hose like many cars.

Last edited by mk378; 11-03-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks guys I'll give it a try.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Default Help

OK jumped the plug and the fan came on. Changed the thermostat and the thermoswtch. The fan is still not running. Jump the plug and it runs.
Does the engine have to heat up to activate the thermoswitch so the fan turns on?
I ran the car with AC on for about 5 mins and the fan never came on. It was not over heating but only ran for 5 minutes.

Any advice ?
Thanks

Old 11-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You have to wait longer, the entire radiator needs to heat up before the switch will turn the fan on. This can take quite a while in cold weather. The switch is sensing the temperature of the water leaving the radiator.

On a 95 the A/C is a separate system and has its own fan.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:23 AM
Default Still having problems

OK the radiator fan is working but we still have problems. The car runs fine on short trips but at some point it leaks radiator fluid and gets hot. I have not seen the leak because my daughter is the one driving it and when it heats up she calls me. I show up and put fluid in and start it up no leaks and it don't over heat.
Today I will start it and let it run until it leaks.
My guess is its the water pump. Any advice on changing it, and links with pics directions would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

After replacing the thermostat and switch, did you bleed the cooling system as shown in the diagram?

Is there white smoke in the exhaust?

Before you consider replacing the water pump (difficult job), it is imperative that you determine the location of the leak. Do you remember whether the coolant puddle was situated directly below the lower timing belt cover?

Old 11-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You could swap cars with her temporarily until you find the leak. You don't want her to run out of water and burn up the engine.

There are a bunch of coolant hoses on the back of the engine, including some little ones that go to parts on the intake manifold. These are easiest to inspect from underneath the car.

There are "weep holes" from the water pump on the back side of the left end of the engine, near the bracket that holds the top of the alternator. If the pump is leaking, coolant should be found there. The water pump is driven by the timing belt, so replacement is basically the same job as replacing the timing belt. A new timing belt should be installed at the time.

Last edited by mk378; 11-07-2008 at 09:29 AM.