Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 EX stalls and shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Default 95 EX stalls and shuts down

Greetings, been lurking. now reaching out
95 EX stalled out the other day while driving. Cranks back up and runs.
Before i invest in pressure gauges etc I'm reaching out for suggestions

Changed Filter, main relay after reading about it Just got this car and I love it

Btw no CEL

Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Stalling after driving a while is often because the ignition control module in the distributor quits when it gets hot. You should test for spark while it is still hot and not willing to restart.

If it starts immediately, it could be a bad ignition switch. Watch if the oil and battery lights on the dash come on after it stalls. They should be on anytime the key is on but the engine is not running.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:00 AM
HCF Member

i had a prelude that did the same thing and it turned out to be the ignition switch

Old 12-17-2010, 09:02 AM

Ok, . Just got home from work. jumped in started up and after 30 or so seconds, the engine hesitated then shutoff. Batt light was on after it died

Only difference is engine was totally cold after sitting all night.

ignition control module ?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:14 AM
HCF Member

well my prelude use to shut off when i would some times start it and let it warm up or if i started it on a hill or when i hit a bump well driving it would shut down so i would say its the ignition switch if not its has some thing to do with the ignition

Old 12-18-2010, 03:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Run the car until it stops then do these tests. You must do these tests when the car is not in a mood to start.

Check for spark -- Pull one of the spark plug wires out and insert a spare plug into the end. Hold the plastic part of the wire and press the shell of the plug against the engine. Have someone turn the key and try to start. See if the plug fires a bright white spark.

Check ECU / main relay / fuel pump -- Turn key off then back to on, but don't try to start. The Check Engine light should come on for 2 seconds then go out. During that time you should hear the fuel pump (in the tank under the back seat) run then stop.

Ignition switch check II -- Pull the hand brake handle up. Turn key on, then try to start. The BRAKE light on the dash should stay on the whole time.

Again, these tests only have meaningful results if done while the car will not start.