Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2-3 second buzzing sound coming from abs pump

Old 09-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Exclamation 2-3 second buzzing sound coming from abs pump

I have a 93 Civic EX manual, i heard that sometimes the o-ring insided the abs pump starts to fail and the buzzing sound is caused by the abs pump repressurizing, but my question is how difficult is it to replace the o-ring myself, it's not in my haynes manual.

the dealership wants to cut off my arm and then sell it back to me for the cost of what they want to charge me for. Was there any recalls for this issue, or something.

I hate that buzzing sound, and it's not like i have a leak, my resevoir is at the same level after i changed my pads. And that was like 4 months ago, so i know i'm not leaking out fluid.

the buzzing sound only used to come on when i started the car, but now, sometimes it happens when i'm driving.

I heard that the o-ring only costs $1.50, that's a more liveable fee.

There is also another issue i have. I have a Random technology High Flow Cat, my distributor started acting up really badly, it was arcing back into the rotor. It caused my engine to make all sorts of funny noises and some backfiring noises coming out the exhaust. to make a long story short, my cat is now making this weird rattling noise inside it. I have a remote start on my car, and i started it remotely to see if there was anything coming out of the exhaust, and a little ceramic fragment rattled its way out. I called the company (randme technology) and they said that when my distributor was acting up, it was causing the engine to backfire, causing the honeycomb inside the cat to be damaged. Now my cat is covered underwarranty, my thing though is, shouldn't the cat have been capable of handling that amount of pressure, it is a high flow cat after all? And has anyone else ever had an issue like that....?

any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. thanx in advanced

Last edited by JasonB81; 09-21-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: other issue, didn't want to post seperately
Old 09-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's an internal leak, the fluid loses pressure but doesn't leak out to the outside. You're on your own rebuilding an ABS box. Officially you swap out the whole box.

A catalytic converter can be damaged by the engine malfunctioning. Especially misfiring, that causes raw gas to go into the converter and burn there, overheating it. It is great that the company is going to give you a new one under warranty because they really don't have to.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Default well....

Originally Posted by mk378
It's an internal leak, the fluid loses pressure but doesn't leak out to the outside. You're on your own rebuilding an ABS box. Officially you swap out the whole box.

A catalytic converter can be damaged by the engine malfunctioning. Especially misfiring, that causes raw gas to go into the converter and burn there, overheating it. It is great that the company is going to give you a new one under warranty because they really don't have to.
i was checking other forums, specifically dealing with this issue on Accords and Integras, it seems pretty simple, unbolt the ABS assembly from the body, disconnect the brake lines and then unbolt the bottom of the abs assembly and change the o-ring. I just know i'll need a torque wrench, and have to torque it back to spec. it's just that it sounds a lil time consuming. i found a replacement abs pump on autopartswarehouse.com, it was for $200+.

As far as the cat goes, they want me to put down $150 and they'll send me a new one, and when they get my old one, if it's covered under warranty, they'll refund me the $150, if not, then i have to pay the remainder, which is $100. Yes i know $250 for a new race proven High Flow Cat is pretty cheap, considering that an OE one runs upwards of $300-$400, but i don't have money like that laying around. Wish i did, but personalizing your car isn't cheap, since your on this site, you know all to well.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Try to pick up a used ABS control unit from a salvage yard. This could save you $$$.