Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 Civic CX Overheating Even After ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 06:21 AM
Question 96 Civic CX Overheating Even After ...

Our 96 Civic begin overheating.

I took several steps in diagnosing and attempting to repair the problem:

1. The radiator fan does run when you jump the thermoswitch connector.
2. Replaced the thermostat.
3. Replaced the radiator cap.
4. Tested radiator relay switch and it is working.
5. Replaced thermoswitch.
4. Replaced the radiator.
5. Lifted front end and bled air from the radiator.

Still overheating.

As additional diagnostic information:

No milkiness in the oil or transmission fluid, no water or vapor emitting from the tail pipe.

Some folks say the next step is the water pump? Does that sound right?

I've replaced belts on vehicles, pulled and replaced alternators, etc. Is the water pump on the 96 Honda Civic something a shade tree mechanic like me can handle?

Old 07-21-2016, 07:22 PM
Default Overheating

Block test the engine. Parts store will rent you the tool and you can buy the fluid. Make sure you don't have head gasket problem. Does your cooling fan run at all? Run the engine without a thermostat to see if the fan works when the coolant reaches the right temp.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:22 AM

If you have not changed the timing belt or water pump in a long time (being 100000 - 120000 miles since) that might be your problem, time to get those done.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:02 AM

As far as if you can do it, absolutely, you can do anything man! It is a very important thing to do and I would use extreme caution in handling that type of project but as long as you don't move the cam sprocket when it is at top dead center than you should be able to do it depending on how handy you are with a wrench. 9 times out of ten you need a harmonic balancer puller kit to take off the harmonic balancer. You need to remove these driver side tire to access the harmonic balancer. Usually you will want to buy a timing belt kit which often times you can find one that comes with a lot; timing belt, water pump, idler pully, gaskets and a new idler pully pin. A savvy mechanic can do the job in less than 5 hours someone that is tackling it for the first time without all the air tools and lift, probably take anywhere from 8 to 18 hours lol maybe longer if you get stuck on something. There are multiple videos on YouTube to DIY.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jaredarchuleta5
If you have not changed the timing belt or water pump in a long time (being 100000 - 120000 miles since) that might be your problem, time to get those done.
So we have gotten back to the Honda Civic 1996.

Today we pulled the water pump.

Blades show NO sign of corrosion, and the blades turn with the pulley, which spins freely.

When we removed the water pump, a good bit of coolant ran out -- I am not sure if that additional fact is diagnostic of anything.

So, at this point, we've determined that

The radiator fan does run when you jump the thermoswitch connector.

And we have replaced
the thermostat.
the radiator cap.
the thermoswitch.
the radiator.

We also tested radiator relay switch and it is working

and we

We lifted front end and bled air from the radiator.

Having checked the water pump and found it in excellent condition, am I left with a cracked block?

If it doesn't overheat when the exterior temperature is below 40 degrees, is that diagnostic of anything.

This bad boy is going to the used parts lot if I can't get a line on something else soon.

Your help appreciated.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Default So it's not the water pump ....

So we have gotten back to the Honda Civic 1996.

Today we pulled the water pump.

Blades show NO sign of corrosion, and the blades turn with the pulley, which spins freely.

When we removed the water pump, a good bit of coolant ran out -- I am not sure if that additional fact is diagnostic of anything.

So, at this point, we've determined that

The radiator fan does run when you jump the thermoswitch connector.

And we have replaced
the thermostat.
the radiator cap.
the thermoswitch.
the radiator.

We also tested radiator relay switch and it is working

and we

We lifted front end and bled air from the radiator.

Having checked the water pump and found it in excellent condition, am I left with a cracked block?

If it doesn't overheat when the exterior temperature is below 40 degrees, is that diagnostic of anything.

This bad boy is going to the used parts lot if I can't get a line on something else soon.

Your help appreciated.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:46 AM
HCF Member