Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'96 Del Sol no crank/start

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Default '96 Del Sol no crank/start

Alrighty, here's what I know so far:

Went into a store, came out, no crank.
Attempted push start, and cranked.
Suspected bad Starter, attempted to jump the starter, starter is fine
Pulled out the clutch switch, hooked up a volt meter, get a distinctive on/off connectivity when I press the button.

When I put the key into the ignition and turn to II, dash lights and radio come on, and I hear the fuel pump as well. If I turn to Start, nothing happens. the only click I hear is my automatic locks attempting to lock.

I've checked fuses, everything seems to be fine there as well.

Any advice to help me get back on the road would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The problem with the clutch switch is usually not the switch itself, but the rubber pad on the pedal arm that pushes the button on the switch when the pedal is all the way down. So testing the switch outside the car won't check that. Also if the car has cruise control there are two clutch switches, the one at the top is for the starter, the one nearer the bottom only turns off the cruise when you press the clutch.

There is also a relay associated with the clutch switch. It should click when the key is turned with the switch pressed. I think the relay is mounted to the side of the car near the clutch pedal but not sure of that.

Check ignition switch as well, I think it is the black wire with white stripe which should be energized when you turn key to III. The wire then goes through the clutch interlock relay and then from there on to the starter.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
The problem with the clutch switch is usually not the switch itself, but the rubber pad on the pedal arm that pushes the button on the switch when the pedal is all the way down. So testing the switch outside the car won't check that. Also if the car has cruise control there are two clutch switches, the one at the top is for the starter, the one nearer the bottom only turns off the cruise when you press the clutch.

There is also a relay associated with the clutch switch. It should click when the key is turned with the switch pressed. I think the relay is mounted to the side of the car near the clutch pedal but not sure of that.

Check ignition switch as well, I think it is the black wire with white stripe which should be energized when you turn key to III. The wire then goes through the clutch interlock relay and then from there on to the starter.
Thank you sir. you got me to look in the right direction.

after reading your reply, i realized i tested the cruse control switch. then decided to pull my floor mat out and this is what I found.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yep that is half of the rubber pad that fell apart so now the switch doesn't get pressed.