Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 honda civic 4dr sputtering when taking off and when up to speed it cuts out.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Default 96 honda civic 4dr sputtering when taking off and when up to speed it cuts out.

so my civic for some reason when im taking off it stutters pretty bad but if i punch the throttel it will push threw it and then it runs fine but once you get up to speed it will (i dont know exactly how to explain it) cut out for less than a sec. then it will run fine for a wile then do it again. the stuttering happens when your taking off and if you bog the enigine down to. anyone got any cluse on what it could be? could i have a vacume leak or something? need help its really annoying.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

Could be a vacuum leak. I had similar issues recently. Check spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pressure, battery cables and grounds (the ones going to the engine-battery too, mine was very lose and causing problems), IACV and TB should be cleaned too.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 PM

yeah i just bought it two weeks ago and i am still in the process of giving it a over haul. thanks for the input.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM

well found out it was my second O2 sensor that was causing the hickup swile driving easy fix.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 PM
HCF Member

was there a check engine light on?

Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 PM

yeah there is but i was thinking it was bc my speedo sensor was out.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 AM
Default 96 civic sputtering

I'm having the same problem. Where is the o2 sensor located?

Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the CEL is on, read the codes first so you know what the computer thinks the problem many be. Don't expect the car to run properly with the CEL on.

The second O2 sensor is at the outlet end of the catalytic converter. If you have a DX, LX with the converter built into the manifold it is on the front of the engine toward the bottom. The EX has a more conventional setup with a separate converter under the car.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM

Appreciate the info. Got a few more problems with my 96 EX that I can't solve alone.
1. The rear defrost doesn't work and the radio reception is terrible. I heard they were linked.
2. When I press the brake the rpm's drop to 600 from 900. When I release the rpm's jump to 1100 and then back to 900.
3. Light white smoke coming out of the breather filter and white smoke out the tail pipe in intervals both.
**I recently made the following fixes in the last 4 months: full alignment, alternator, water pump, timing belt, thermostat, plugs & wires, fuel, oil and breather filter, cleaned throttle opening.
Any advice?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

1. They're not linked. The radio antenna is on the roof near the driver's door. Make sure it is pulled up all the way. For the defroster, turn the key on and press the button then measure with a voltmeter between the two electrodes on the sides of the back window. Should be battery voltage. If you have voltage but it doesn't heat up, it's likely that all the strips have been damaged by improper cleaning of the inside of the window. If there's no voltage check the fuse and relay in the box under the hood (the light in the button will come on even if the fuse under the hood is blown). Also on hatchbacks the wiring can break where it goes between the main part of the car and the hatch.
2. Some rpm change is normal since the power brakes are operated by vacuum from the engine. I assume the power brakes are working OK.
3. Check the PCV valve. A worn engine is going to smoke regardless. If the smoke from the tailpipe smells like antifreeze there is a leak in the head gasket or one of the parts on the intake manifold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 honda civic 4dr sputtering when taking off and when up to speed it cuts out.