Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:08 AM
Default 97 Civic EX

My car was in an accident a while back before I bought it. There drivers side in the front is a little smashed in and creates a hole under the hood. When I drive on the freeway the flys up and down on the sides. I'm kind of worried that if it wobbles too much like that it will break the hood latch and pop open. Would hood pins help or should I have the front pulled? I have another same year Honda Civic and it has no gap but the hood flys up and down same way, just not as much.

Oh also. The car was stole before. So i had to put in a key ignition. I did it myself and it worked, but the car horn would go off when you turn the wheel. To the point where it just stayed on without going off. I just disconnected the damn under the hood, but how do I fix it?

Last edited by doxastic; 03-16-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There are rubber bumpers to hold the front side edges of the hood steady when it is closed. Otherwise it will wobble at highway speed as you noticed. The bumpers need to be adjusted so they actually touch when it is closed. If the car is bent, you may need to fabricate something for more adjustment range.

Having the horn wire short to ground will make the horn blow all the time. The clock spring may also be defective. That is the part that transfers the electrical circuits from the stationary part of the column to moving parts on the wheel such as the horn button and air bag.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
There are rubber bumpers to hold the front side edges of the hood steady when it is closed. Otherwise it will wobble at highway speed as you noticed. The bumpers need to be adjusted so they actually touch when it is closed. If the car is bent, you may need to fabricate something for more adjustment range.

Having the horn wire short to ground will make the horn blow all the time. The clock spring may also be defective. That is the part that transfers the electrical circuits from the stationary part of the column to moving parts on the wheel such as the horn button and air bag.
I just checked the difference in both cars. You are right. They are missing. I searched but couldn't find them online. Do you know the part number for them?

Old 03-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Honda Automotive Parts

It appears you need two of Part #10 and / or #12. It would cost less to pay list price at your local dealer rather than mail-order them.