Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trans Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Default Trans Fluid

Im getting reeady to change the radiator in my wifes 96 civic. Im also changing the hoses, timing belt ,water pump and t stat while i have it down. My question is Im going to loose some trans fluid during the radiator change but I do not have a Honda dealer withing 60 miles. Is there another fluid I can safely use. Also thought about changing the trans filter, where is the filter. Im use to working on American cars and just bought two hondas. Real easy to work on just learning about some of the differences. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

I recommend that you buy a factory service manual (used ones are reasonable). You want to buy an entire case, the next time you go to a dealership to buy auto tranny fluid. Some Honda owners have used the specified Amsoil or Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluids with success, but I'd just be safe and use the Honda stuff. You will need 3 quarts (listed requirement is 2.9 quarts when draining and refilling).
According to my manual, there is just an "ATF Strainer", not a replaceable filter. The fluid should be replaced every 30,000 miles or 2 years, whichever occurs first.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 PM

How difficult is it to remove and clean the strainer?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Dcardsrule
Im getting reeady to change the radiator in my wifes 96 civic. Im also changing the hoses, timing belt ,water pump and t stat while i have it down. My question is Im going to loose some trans fluid during the radiator change but I do not have a Honda dealer withing 60 miles. Is there another fluid I can safely use. Also thought about changing the trans filter, where is the filter. Im use to working on American cars and just bought two hondas. Real easy to work on just learning about some of the differences. Thanks.
i thought coolant was independent from the transmission oil???

coolant: the usual green stuff
oil for transmission (if you do indeed drain it) is regular motor oil i've used 5w30, non synthetic, in my manual trans. Honda Manual Transmission fluid is recommended however.
lots of people use GM synchromesh as well with no issue.
regular oil works just fine. not too sure about the auto transmissions however.