Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 civic 1.6L / no idle - help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Default 98 civic 1.6L / no idle - help

Daughter ran it hot, head gasket blown. Torn it down, had head checked out, valve job done, had to shave the head some ( warped ). Re-installed, replaced timing belt, water pump. Set back in time. Engine cranks and runs fine ( upper rpm ), has issue idling, some times it idles fine, then doesn't. Went to check ignition timing but is moving around to much. I had a 94 civic 1.5L and it had a green plug under the dash passenger side that I would short, this would bypass the computer and I could set ignition timing and then remove my jumper.

Question is: Does a 98 civic have then plug? If so where is it located ?

It runs in the upper rpms so well I am sure the timing belt is correct. I had the cam sprocket lined up on the two marker and in the up position, lined the crank with the key at the 12 O'Clock position and with the notch to the oil pump. Rotated engine counter clockwise a 1/4 turn and then some to adjust tensioner. Re-checked and with the balancer on and the tdc mark lines up where it is suppose to.

No check engine lights......

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I do not have a manual for the 98, did look around town and Advance, Auto zone do not have it is stock. Would like to get this solved before Monday. If not then I will order a manual.

Thanks for any help,

John

Old 09-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Default RE: 98 civic 1.6L / no idle / help

ORIGINAL: jwenzell

Daughter ran it hot, head gasket blown. Torn it down, had head checked out, valve job done, had to shave the head some ( warped ). Re-installed, replaced timing belt, water pump. Set back in time. Engine cranks and runs fine ( upper rpm ), has issue idling, some times it idles fine, then doesn't. Went to check ignition timing but is moving around to much. I had a 94 civic 1.5L and it had a green plug under the dash passenger side that I would short, this would bypass the computer and I could set ignition timing and then remove my jumper.

It runs in the upper rpms so well I am sure the timing belt is correct. I had the cam sprocket lined up on the two marker and in the up position, lined the crank with the key at the 12 O'Clock position and with the notch to the oil pump. Rotated engine counter clockwise a 1/4 turn and then some to adjust tensioner. Re-checked and with the balancer on and the tdc mark lines up where it is suppose to.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I do not have a manual for the 98, did look around town and Advance, Auto zone do not have it is stock. Would like to get this solved before Monday. If not then I will order a manual.

Thanks for any help,

John

Okay, found the manual on this site and downloaded it. Stayed up late and studied it. Went out this morning, ran a couple test. When I cranked it this morning (cold ) it idled fine until it reached temperature this same thing poor or no idling. When I unplug the knock sensor it idles fine.

I did find the plug under the dash and tried to jump it and set timing, no luck. I did hear some valve train noise. Could the knock sensor pick this up?

Will adjust valves and re-check timing tomorrow night.

Does any one have any ideas........

Please help.

John

Old 09-17-2007, 06:39 PM

Thanks for any help,

John

Okay, found the manual on this site and downloaded it. Stayed up late and studied it. Went out this morning, ran a couple test. When I cranked it this morning (cold ) it idled fine until it reached temperature this same thing poor or no idling. When I unplug the knock sensor it idles fine.

I did find the plug under the dash and tried to jump it and set timing, no luck. I did hear some valve train noise. Could the knock sensor pick this up?

Will adjust valves and re-check timing tomorrow night.

Does any one have any ideas........

Please help.

John
Well, removed the IAC vavle and cleaned, replaced some suspect vacum lines, cleaned pvc. Still no luck.....

Removed valve cover, rechecked timing belt, all was good.

Checked the valve adjustment and that was the issue. Valves were to tight, I asked the machine shop when I picked up the resurfaced hard (valve job) if he adjusted the valves he said yes. Just goes to show you.

Now itpurs like a kitten...

Thanks for the manual download.

Also thanks for all the input guys..........[:@]

John

Old 09-17-2007, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

Damn sorry no one could help you.At least you helped us a little........thanks lol