Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic DX has a rattle going up hills

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Question 98 Civic DX has a rattle going up hills

Hey there! Hoping to get some feedback on my little problem

It seems that my stick shift honda has slight rattle going up hills? I hope it has nothing to do with the exhaust manifold work I had done on it a month ago. I had to change out the catalytic converter and it cost me quite a penny.

But I also noticed that I can barely go up hills.

Is that a problem with the transmission?

Its a stock DX. 115,XXX. stick shift. 4 cylinder 1.6 liter.

I am worried! Because I want to get to work on buffing my machine into something worthy of "Ride of the month"

Any help is a plus!

Thank you guys (and gals) !

Old 09-19-2012, 01:06 PM
HCF Member

Is the muffler plugged? Did you do the cat or did you have it done?

Old 09-19-2012, 02:47 PM
HCF Member

Has it been really hot outside where you live? The rattling could be predetonation due to very hot ambient temps. Also make sure your air filter is not clogged. If that looks good, you can try using midgrade or super fuel if ambient temps exceed 95 or 100F.
How old are your sparkplugs? Worn out plugs will result in a power loss, too.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:36 AM
HCF Member
Default pinging under load

As was said a better grade of fuel may work, or, just a better fuel. Are you using cheap junk from RaceTrac, Sam's Club, or something similar? Do a Google search for top tier gasolines, some are not as expensive as you may think. I would check the timing though, it may be too far advanced.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx

Old 09-20-2012, 02:27 PM

Hey guys thank you so much for replying!

1. I bought the car with a crack in the manifold and had it repaired at family friends auto shop. So I am hoping nothing was installed wrong.

2. I usually put in 89 grade. Here in Seattle I use the Safeway. Which is alot like Vons. Discounted gas is nice on the wallet but not taking care of my car can definitely cost big money in the long haul. So thank you for giving me the idea to research petrol grades!

3. Installed new spark plugs myself about a month ago. So I dont think it has anything to do with that. As well as a K an N air filter

4. Going to flush the system and add 4x engine protection grade oil to the fluids.

5. I do also need to add a fuel additive soon. Winter is approaching and not only do I want power in the cold but I dont want to gel any fuel

Again, cant thank you guys enough for replying!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 AM
HCF Member

You are welcome, thank you for taking the suggestions so graciously. Please don't forget to either have your ignition timing checked, or check it yourself per a manual for your car. It may be as simple as that. Too far advanced= runs hotter, pre-ignition pinging (which may be your rattle). Some people advance the timing to squeak a little more 'pep' from their car and get a little more MPG. It is a delicate dance though, and the factory sets the spec for the broadest usage base and conditions. Too much advance will eventually pre-detonate a hole in a piston, undue wear on connecting rods and bearings, and other damaging results. Ensure it is on the money and per spec before dumping any additives into your ride. Good gas, good oil, good fluids should be all you need for a long happy relationship with your car. (unless you go to head gasket hell, but that is another story).

Good luck.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx

Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 AM

If you think it is an exhaust rattle (usually makes the noise at a specific RPM no matter what speed you at going), then get under the car and have someone rev the car so you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from.