Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'98 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Default '98 Civic EX

So I'm new here (obviously) and I know NOTHING about Hondas. I'm a Jeep guy, but my FIL gave me his old Civic and not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth, here I am.

First, the low beams don't work. Is there a fuse I should check, is that a bad bulb, etc.?

Second, there's a hole in the exhaust somewhere. Nothings coming out of the muffler and its HELLA loud when sitting in it and reving it (its loud when you're NOT reving it, lol) Is there a sure-fire way to find where the hole is? From in the cabin it sounds like the down pipe. From outside, its anyone's guess.

Also, I cant find on it anywhere what the engine is. I did a little research and it looks like the 1.6l SOHC. Would that be correct? If so, is this a decent motor? Its got 184K on it, but its ALWAYS been serviced, taken care of, etc.

Looking forward to becoming a regular!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Always check the bulbs first.

That deserves a separate paragraph because you always check the bulbs first before assuming anything else. There are fuses for each bulb under the dash. If the bulbs and fuses are good, the problem is probably the high/low switch.

You will need to get under the car and inspect the exhaust. Common for the middle pipe to break off right after the cat converter. The front pipe lasts a long time.

Yes, you should have the 1.6 liter VTEC. It's a good engine especially combined with manual transmission. The automatics tend to wear out.

Last edited by mk378; 01-13-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

I agree, owning a 98, the headlights do burn out and it is a simple fix. The exhaust is simple. If you have a ramp, it is easier to find where the problem is, the smoke will come from it. After putting it on a ramp backwards, I would recommend that you start the car and take a look underneath. It'll be easy and smell the smoke. I have had to replace the muffler, the long B pipe each at least twice so far. I have not had to replace the catalytic converter.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM

I appreciate the responses, guys. Thanks a bunch!

Concerning the bulbs, what do I look for/check? Ive never had headlamps like this. ALSO, if its the bulbs, is there a really good bulb that's bright I can throw in there?

Last edited by bigvig77; 01-14-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Unplug the 3 wire plug from the back of the bulb. Test for continuity on the bulb, all three pins should be connected to each other. If part of the bulb is open circuit, you will need to remove the rubber cover (3) and undo the wire clip to take the bulb (2) out and replace with a new one. The main shell of the headlight stays attached to the car.

Honda Automotive Parts