Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic EX Horn Problem (Won't Stop Blowing)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Default 98 Civic EX Horn Problem (Won't Stop Blowing)

I was having a problem with overheating. I found that the fuse for the radiator cooling fan was blown. I replaced the fuse. When I shut the hood the horn started blowing, and won't quit.

I can not find any cracked wires. I took it to a local mechanic, and he could not figure it out.

I can not find any documentation for a horn relay.

My daughter has owned the car for over 5 years, and has never had any problem with the horn.

I would appreciate any advice. HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 98 Civic EX Horn Problem (Won't Stop Blowing)

well check the horn buttons on the wheel.... a button could be stuck.... or some other electrical conection from a relay could be stuck.... id say just unplug the horn and forget about it....

lets face it WHO REALY LISTENS TO A HONDA HORN ANYWAYS?
hell i drive a civic and im still like.... hahaha what a turd ssquicker... hell a childs bicycle horn is just about louder.. HONK HONK... LMFAO

something so minor is not needed......
BUT check those horn buttons and if they arent stuck then its gotta be a relay sticking or the wires upfront are melted together shorting out on that radiator wiring... cause if the fuse blew the wires probably got hot enough and stuck together so now the horns power wire is geting power...
quick way to test for that is unplug that fuse and press the horn button... if the horn blows then the wiring has melted together somewhere along that radiator fan fuse... just run down the wires and tape them up good where they melted...
also another way to check is with a 12volt light tester simply plug it into the OUTPUT of that fuse conection and then press the horn again.... if the light comes on the tester than its definatly shorted out on that wire...

just take alittle time to find...

Old 06-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I don't think those have a horn relay. At least the older models don't. The horn has two wires. One wire is always hot from the battery thru a fuse. The other one goes back to the horn button. Pressing the button connects this wire to ground. A short to ground anywhere along that wire will make the horn blow constantly. The most likely place is up in the steering wheel assembly, but it could be under the hood as well. If there's an alarm system either factory or aftermarket, it's likely connected to the horn circuit too.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:10 PM

I pulled the fuse as suggested. The horn does not work with the fuse out. Don't know if this eliminates the possibility of a short.

Is it possible that the horn is defective? Has anyone ever heard of a horn getting stuck ON?

There is only one wire connected to the horn. It is grounded by the bolt holding it in place.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well hum.... how about the horn button? does that work or stuck down?

but if ya cannt figure it out just unhook that wire... and if you realy want the horn to work just rewire it.... cut the wire next to the horn and run the wire into the car and cut the horn wire under the steering colum to the horn wire which if its a 96-00 i believe is blue, 95 civic is blue/green, and 92-94 should beBLUE/RED OR GRAY

hopefully that helps ya out. or just wire up a momentary button on the console or something to use as the horn button...
BUT the wire under the colum is ground... so im preaty sure thier is a relay IF thiers only one wire going to the horn....

Old 06-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Mine did it. There is something inside the steering wheel, behind the airbag that needs to be replaced. The name escapes me right now as I haven't actually fixed mine (I just pulled the wire harness off of the horn).

Old 06-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

One wire horns should have a relay. But I doubt the relay is the problem since it didn't get stuck on like relays usually do. The device that links the electrical stuff on the wheel such as the horn button and air bag to the rest of the car is called the clock spring. It's basically a flat cable in a long coil that winds up and unwinds as you turn the wheel.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:10 AM

I have now taken all of the following steps with no answers:
[ul][*]I changed the fuse for the cooling fan[*]I checked the fuse for the horn[*]I pull each of the relays in the fuse block under the hood[*]I tried to trace the wires to find any breaks, cuts, melted wires, etc.[*]I had two friends with mechanical knowledge try to find the problem[*]I took the car to two local garages[*]I hooked a new horn to the wire to see if the old horn was "STUCK" in the on position (the new horn kept blowing like the old one)[*]I went to a parts store and asked them if there was a horn relay (they checked their database and said they could not find any)[*]I pulled the horn fuse, which disabled the Shifter, so the car cannot be put into gear[*]I searched the Internet for wiring diagrams with no luck[*]I called the Honda dealer, who would not tell me if their was a relay, but told me I would have to bring the car for an evaluation (at $60 an hour)[*]I disconnected the wire going to the horn (Now the car will not pass State inspection)[*]I read forum messages, which stated that the horn also affected the brake lights and the cruise control[/ul]I am really starting to hate this Honda Civic [:@]. I also had electrical problems with my Honda CR-V. The Honda dealer charged me LOTS of money for the CR-V, and never corrected the problem. I now have a CR-V with no power locks, no clock, a $600 alternator (which did not solve the problem), a new starter, a SRS light that will not go off (or stay off after reset), and a Civic with a horn that will not stop blowing.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You could buy an alldata DIY for that car, will have wiring diagrams, part locations, etc. Really it's going to take someone with a diagram and a considerable amount of time to figure it out, which if it's the dealer it's likely to get expensive. I'm thinking it has something to do with the alarm system, if equipped.

There's a whole lot more relays and stuff under the dash, but you'd need a diagram to know what's what. Did you try turning the steering wheel back and forth to see if that makes it quit (To save your nerves and the neighbors', hook up a test light in place of the horn.) Usually these troubles are in the horn button or clock spring area.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if all else fails..... F*** IT and just unplug the horn..

Quick Reply: 98 Civic EX Horn Problem (Won't Stop Blowing)