Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic Manual won't run past 2000 rpm while in gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Exclamation 98 Civic Manual won't run past 2000 rpm while in gear

Hi guys, I'm hoping you can give me a hand in diagnosing this problem for my Civic. I'll start from the top:

I have a 98 Civic Manual Transmission.

I got out of work one day to find that my battery was shot when I went to start my car. So I got a buddy to take me to autozone to buy a brand new battery. I swapped out the battery, and then ran into a bad starter and bad connection problem at the battery terminals. I bought a brand new starter, installed it, and cleaned up my terminals. Car started and ran completely fine at idle, and drove it around just a bit in the parking lot. The next day, I started up my car with no problems, let the car warm up, and drove off to work. About 5 minutes into driving while I was in 2nd gear, the car immediately lost acceleration and started to bog out. I couldn't get the car to rev over 2000rpm and was stuck going at maybe 10mph tops. Shifted down into first and cruised at 10mph back home. The check engine light came on soon afterward. My original guess is it's a bad sensor somewhere? maybe TPS or TDC sensor? However, I also noticed my Oil Pressure light intermittently turns on for about 5-10 seconds or so, then goes away. Checked my oil, and pretty low...maybe a quart or so. Maybe i'm just low on oil? I checked to see if it was a connection problem somewhere, but it looks all fine under the hood. Also, the car can rev to redline when it's in neutral/idle with no problems. I thought about driving my car over to auto zone to check for codes, but the nearest one is about 10 miles away, and I'm not sure my car can make it in the state that its in.

Any ideas???

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Old 04-02-2016, 01:46 PM
HCF Member

you'll need to check the code first.. could be crank sensor issue, this would be my first guess. But you'll need to check out the code first.