Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic Random engine stalls & no starts

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:55 PM
Default 98 Civic Random engine stalls & no starts

Just in the last few weeks my car has had several engine stalls completely out of the blue. First time was at highway speeds (55mph), others have been around town (25-35 mph) and just today while stopped at an intersection.

It just dies suddenly and completely, no sputtering. The first time it would not restart initially. It was on a semi-noisy highway so it was difficult but my co-worker and I were pretty sure that we did not hear the fuel pump priming or even the relay clicking when just turning the key to "on". But after about 5 minutes (trying several times to start or listen for priming) I finally heard it prime and then it started right up.

The second time was just after turning onto a road and accelerating. That time, however, I turned the key and it primed the first time and started fine.

Today it stalled at an intersection and I believe on the first attempt to restart it did not prime (most of these no-prime instances were based on not hearing the relay rather than not hearing the pump) but the next try it clicked and started very briefly but stalled immediately. Several tries and starts before it started and continued running.

I do not have any codes showing. But I have not had a good amount of time yet to troubleshoot much beyond that. Any ideas on where to check? I was planning on testing the main relay since that controls the fuel pump relay. They are one unit, right?

Old 03-07-2016, 02:47 PM

The main fuel pump relay was what was causing my warm engine starting problems. Yours is a different year and I hope for your sake it is easier to get too than on my 91 Honda civic. The relays are soldered on a main board and over time the road vibrations cause the solder terminals to go cold, meaning a circular bead forms on the solder junction and sometimes it makes contact and sometimes it does not, very intermittent in operation. The relay on my Honda was about 65 dollars new so it was definitely worth my while to disassemble the dash and repair the relay, which worked for my problem.