Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'98 Honda Civic Knocking noise during breaking, turning, hitting bumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Default '98 Honda Civic Knocking noise during breaking, turning, hitting bumps

Ok, this is my first post here, I've exhausted local mechanics and troubleshooting and still have the issue. Hopefully you guys can help.

First, the knocking noise seems to be coming from the passenger side front of the car. That's the best way I can describe the sound: a knock or 'popping' noise.

The knocking noise occurs when breaking (ie. for a redlight), or while making a sharp turn (regardless of speed), or when hitting a particularly large bump. Oh, and it also will do it if I accelerate quickly from a stop. However, it doesn't do it all the time. For instance - if I just hit a large pot and the car knocks, I can hit another hole immediately after and not hear it.

Also, it doesn't knock all the time when breaking. If I break very lightly and come to a stop it most likely won't knock. However, if I break hard and it knocks, I can immediately get up to speed and brake again and it might not knock. Same goes for the steering (and this seems to be the area it happens least frequently) - sometimes it will pop while making a 3pt. turn or when backing out of a parking spot... and sometimes it won't.

Now, for the troubleshooting. Things done to the car right before the noise started was a change of the transmission fluid, replacement of the CV axles, replacement of the passenger side disc brake caliper (same side as knocking noise), radiator replacement, and tires rotated and balanced.

The CV axles were not done at a shop, but it was a licensed mechanic that did the job. Even after that, I had the wheels aligned by a shop and asked them to investigate the noise. They couldn't come up with an answer. They (supposedly) checked all the bolts and connections to make sure everything was in good shape.

I've jacked the car up and taken a look and I've noticed that there seems to be a bit of movement in the engine when shifting gears or revving the engine... though I couldn't say whether or not it was excessive movement or normal. I thought maybe it could be worn motor mounts and the engine is shifting around in the engine bay. However, after inspecting the motor mounts there doesn't seem to be any significant erosion in the mounts that would suggest a lot of play in the engine.

Anyways, I hope you guys can help. I'd like to fix the specific issue rather than go through and start buying new stuff for my car (also, that can get very expensive). Please help!! thanks guys!

PS. suspecting it might be the new CV axles (maybe they were lose or something?..), I jacked the car up and checked all the bolts that had to be loosened to do the installation... they all seemed fine. Also, I grabbed the axle and moved it horizontally, left to right, a little, to see how much play was in the axle: It did show some movement from left to right, but only about 1/4 of in. - not much at all. Dunno if that's useful... trying to think of everything here.

Last edited by hagman81; 11-10-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:58 AM
HCF Member

I would be tempted to check out the damper/strut on the Right front suspension. Have you had that examined? It might have worn out and is bottoming out when you do these things. I believe that the CV axles would normally only affect turning and going straight, not bumps or pot holes. I might be wrong but that's what I've read around here.

I recently replaced all 4 dampers/struts on my 98. the front ones are a pain as the spring diameter is pretty small. the rears were a piece of cake.

I would also check out the motor mounts again since the engine should not be moving around.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:03 AM
HCF Member

Check the sway bar bushings.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. I took a look at the strut and the sway bar... though I must be honest, I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. The bushings didn't look any more worn than the rest of the bushings, and they weren't dry rot. Also, I looked for any new wear, such as raw metal (from metal hitting/rubbing against metal), and didn't see any. Please take a look and tell me what you think and if should be looking at anything else.

Also, out of curiosity: Would the strut and sway bar be affected by simply turning the car? I can see how breaking, accelerating, and hitting a bump can all affect the suspension and cause movement, but just turning the wheel can cause this knocking noise as well...

I took pictures and tried adding them to my reply, but don't really know how to do it. So, I made a public photo gallery - hopefully you guys can check it out from there. this is the link, thanks. https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...hp?albumid=252

Think I figured it out - but there are more pics in the album:

Last edited by hagman81; 11-11-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:19 AM

Don't know if this matters... but there does seem to be gap in the sway bar bushing. There wasn't any abnormal wear (new metal showing) or anything. And the bushing on the driver side looked pretty much the same...

Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The inner boot of the axle shown in the picture looks abnormally puckered. It's possible one of the CV joints was damaged during installation.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 AM

yes it does look a bit 'sucked in' - however the boots on the replacement axles were visually very different from the originals and both boots do have that puckered look. Installation of the CV axles was a breeze - the originals were removed without hassle and the replacements were lined up and slid in smoothly....

I'd hate for that to be the issue, seeing how the alignment has already been done. I've always considered removing the CV axles to inspect them as my last option... any other ideas? Would recording an audio clip of the noise help? Please! I'm really stuck here and would like to get my civic back to 100%... I love my car. haha, *sigh*

Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Puckered boots suggest that the CV joint may have been improperly overextended, possibly during installation. Comparing the right-side and left-side gaps between the axle and the differential, does the right side have a larger gap? Also, does the right-side tie rod have more free play than the left-side tie rod?

Old 11-11-2008, 04:20 PM
HCF Member

I was thinking the bushings that are connected to the frame. Any time you load one side of the car (turning or hitting a bump with one tire) there's a chance that the stabilizer bar can move if the bushings are worn or gone.
Another thing to look at is ball joints. With the front safely on jack stands, see if you can find some slop in the ball joints and tire rods. Do this at various points in the steering range.
GL

Old 11-12-2008, 04:06 AM

Thanks guys, I'll check these things out as soon as possible. Most likely won't be able to update you guys until tomorrow.