Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98'Civic Just Died n now it just cranks over..got coil spark so....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:36 AM
Default 98'Civic Just Died n now it just cranks over..got coil spark so....

Ok Mods please move or delaeat my old post as I hidny know the forms lay out n when I saw help setion well I thought it was for mechanical type so, my bad friends! NOW TO MY ISSE

OK 1.5 LT. 5 SPEED STICK HAS POWER COMMING OUTOF COIL BUT NONE AT PLUG WIRES? So would the ingighter modulal in the distributor cause this to happen?
I have checked n resoldered the main relay to no avail yet, fuel pump turns on w key n cycles for.a few secs. Like i am told it should. I have not pulled the fuele lines yet to see a food flow of gas as I need to know if it is ok jist to take em one at a time loose n see if i have feed n return gas constandtly?
The ignition key seems to solidly click at all sections ? So i dont beleibe that is the culprit?
I nid replace the battery terminals n connectors to ensure good 12Vt.Supply of power to weed out the bs lil things!
So can anyone please give me some more specifics to trace down so i can get it sold n or trad her off as bad as i want to for a bigger scooter:-(!!!
Rhis is only the second Honda i have ownened n They are super reliable cars .the accord lx i had was at 357k miles n all i ever did was basic maintainance to it. Never had this type of grimlin to baffel me w a lil squire issue lol.
PLEASE ANY ONE GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIVE COMMENTS AS I HAVE TILL WED . TO GET IT FIXED N TO AUTION SAD TO SAY BUT WOULD EATHER SELL IT THEN LOOSE IT TO THE POLIXE IMPOUND LOT LOL !
THANKS AGAIN TO ANY N ALL SUGGESTTIONS FOLKS!! fyi sorry the caps wad on as I just wanred to het this posted in the well hopfully tje right plaxe this time. Did tru to delete it but found no burton on a "smart fon" lol
Enjoyburbday

Old 06-16-2014, 03:43 AM

No spark a plug wires,has power at coil, fuel pump cycles fine ir seems?, replaced cap amd rotor, No A/C?, all power options sown to xruise works freat w no stalling or stopping issues,

Old 06-16-2014, 05:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you only have weak yellow sparks at the coil, the coil is bad. These little sparks will not make it to the plugs. Testing at the coil, you should have blue sparks that can jump farther than 1/2 inch to your grounded test wire.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
If you only have weak yellow sparks at the coil, the coil is bad. These little sparks will not make it to the plugs. Testing at the coil, you should have blue sparks that can jump farther than 1/2 inch to your grounded test wire.
Ok well all i did was had my arm close to rhe spring when my dad was cranking it over and it lite me up ! But never saw the color or has a well u say to take a peixe of wire n ground it well n then hold the stripped end like a halk inxh of wire back from the covering on tje wire n it should be blue? Ol head n down to do that now! Thanks a ton. Man!!!!! Man i pray it just needs a coil. What do cost
Kind Regards,
Jay

Old 06-17-2014, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by DaCivicman
Ok well all i did was had my arm close to rhe spring when my dad was cranking it over and it lite me up ! But never saw the color or has a well u say to take a peixe of wire n ground it well n then hold the stripped end like a halk inxh of wire back from the covering on tje wire n it should be blue? Ol head n down to do that now! Thanks a ton. Man!!!!! Man i pray it just needs a coil. What do cost
Kind Regards,
Jay
Will let ya all know today as long as it doesnt rain xonstantly n will see n do the ground wire test to see if it has blue apark ober n half inch!! Less tjan blue i will get a new coil if yellow spakk coloe ...thanks folks ...gotb2 days to fix ir n take to auction for a scooter n $ Money!!! Any more info will be a blessing Folks !!!

Old 06-19-2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by DaCivicman
Will let ya all know today as long as it doesnt rain xonstantly n will see n do the ground wire test to see if it has blue apark ober n half inch!! Less tjan blue i will get a new coil if yellow spakk coloe ...thanks folks ...gotb2 days to fix ir n take to auction for a scooter n $ Money!!! Any more info will be a blessing Folks !!!
Power at coil is blue n strong ! So next item please ?
Jay Thx a ton man

Old 06-19-2014, 05:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You should have spark at the plugs then.

Have you checked the ECU for codes?

Old 06-20-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
You should have spark at the plugs then.

Have you checked the ECU for codes?
No I have not ....Can ya explain how to do this code reading? As I am headin down to work on n try anything to fix the great lil car. If I run a google search will i find what the codes are possibly? Surely they are posted some where...
Thanks so much man!!
Jay

Old 06-20-2014, 05:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The 98 is an OBDII car, so you would use an OBDII reader. I think it also responds to the jumper wire / CEL blink method(*), but you get limited information from that compared to a OBD reader.

There is a list of codes posted at the top of the forum.

Also when you have a cranks but won't start, and the sparks are firing, check that the timing belt didn't skip. This is done by taking the upper plastic cover off and turning the engine by hand to line up the marks on the pulley which you can see under the cover.

(*) Inside the car on the right side, i.e. near where the hinges for the passenger door attach, pull down the carpet and find the test plug. It is a plug with two small wires which isn't plugged into anything. Put a jumper wire into the plug to connect the two wires together. Turn the key on and count any blinking of the CEL.

Last edited by mk378; 06-20-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 AM

[Qu.............
ok did the jumperwire as u sugeted ,well no codes pyed on the dash clustr area??HHmmm?
So now ya think the inition igniter took a crap on me?602-3208 an
as i still hve no spark a the wires or plugs!!. The coil is as y said it should ad i hav repled he pac nototor n regrouded the battery groud and clns off all conections to the whole batery system ..
i may s suggested tke the pab off and clean and tighten the connections o make darn sure it not a bad conecion....

any other sugesos ? as do her the fuel pump kic om cycle for 2-4 ces. Well n has a nice flow of gas coming out of te lines !!
PLEASE ANOTHER SGGESTIONS S IF I CANT GET THI GOING AGAIN WILL LOOSE MY JOB NEXT WEEK,AS I LIVE Y OUT IN THE COUNRY N CANT GET A RIDE TO N FROM WORK AT ALL!!
THANKS ALL FELOW HONDA OWNERS!!!!
JAY

There is a list of codes posted at the top of the forum.

Also when you have a cranks but won't start, and the sparks are firing, check that the timing belt didn't skip. This is done by taking the upper plastic cover off and turning the engine by hand to line up the marks on the pulley which you can see under the cover.

(*) Inside the car on the right side, i.e. near where the hinges for the passenger door attach, pull down the carpet and find the test plug. It is a plug with two small wires which isn't plugged into anything. Put a jumper wire into the plug to connec6[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: 98'Civic Just Died n now it just cranks over..got coil spark so....