Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'99 civic dash/srs light(s)

Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Default '99 civic dash/srs light(s)

I got a 1999 civic EX about a month ago I started noticing all the lights in the car flickering inside, dashboard, and then the SRS light would come up and than go away it usually happens when im driving on the freeway at night well thats when i could notice it, ive takin it to the dealership got the altenater checked and the sayed it was good i also hooked up to it to try to get an error code for the comp. but no error code came up can anyone help me!

Old 01-24-2007, 03:03 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: '99 civic dash/srs light(s)

You should take it to your local honda dealer to get the sensors checked.

My SRS light came on about 6 months ago too.I found out that a single hit to the front of the car
can set off the SRS sensors, and eventually set off the airbags as well.

Then, i started noticing my horn wasn't working. So i tried everything to fix the horn, but nothing.

So i finally decided to get a computer check to see what the problem was. I found out that
the air bag from my steering wheel was blown, but it never came out! So i have to take it
to the dealership to get a new one in there and get it repaired, but i didnt have money at the time.

So now, the SRS light constantly stays on until i can raise some money to fix it. It think its like 250 for
a replacement.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:33 PM

I did but the problem is they don't stay on in just flashes on when im driving

Old 01-24-2007, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

Good thing that airbag didn't blow out on ya !

Maybe you can talk honda into fixing it for free, considering it was "faulty?"

he he..

They are good about fixing stuff, no questions asked. I love that.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:38 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: excivic36

I did but the problem is they don't stay on in just flashes on when im driving
When I emailed you how I fixed this problem on my car, did that not fix the problem? Have you checked your alternator to make sure that it wasn't overcharging? Because I had the EXACT same problem you are having and when I replaced my alternator, everything was good again.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:15 AM

I am having the same problem. dash lights flicker constantly and the SRS light comes on for 3 seconds and goes out then comes back on . I noticed it started when it got cold. Any Ideas i would apperciate... Thank you.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: NE1309

I am having the same problem. dash lights flicker constantly and the SRS light comes on for 3 seconds and goes out then comes back on . I noticed it started when it got cold. Any Ideas i would apperciate... Thank you.
As I said above, your alternator needs replaced. I have a 1999 Civic LX and I had the exact same problem as you, and getting a new alternator fixed it.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:51 PM

my alternator belt burst since i have replaced it i have no horn ,srs light is on and sport and economy feature on steering not working. what can i do to solve this problem????

Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

There is a part called the cable reel (official name) / clock spring (unofficial name) that connects the electric parts on the steering wheel to the rest of the car. Yours may be broken, you can test with an ohm meter measuring continuity from the stationary part on the column to the moving part on the wheel. Disconnect the battery and unplug and safe the air bag before testing.

Often they get broken when the steering shaft is disconnected to work on the steering and the wheel gets out of sync with the rack.

Last edited by mk378; 10-20-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 PM

the airbag had burst and was never replaced but horn was working before. since the alternator belt burst and horn gone and cant select sport mode from steering. i have checked horn fuse that is good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '99 civic dash/srs light(s)