Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Civic EX oddities

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 04:33 PM
Default 99 Civic EX oddities

Picked up a nice 99 Civic EX with 173000+ miles...new water pump and timing belt,4 new tires and a new exhaust. I have been reading as to the first odditiy that is a rattle at idle which I researched to find could be either heat sheilds on the muffler or on the cat. conv. or it could be the cat. itself...Also while at cruising speed there is a constant knocking thats very rythymic. Sounds like something keeps hitting against the subframe...Finally i have an oil leak which is coming from the top of the engine. It looks like some type of sensor that i thought was an oil pressure sensor but turns out its the vtec solenoid. Is this a common problem...I also read thet the gasket for this solenoid blows and hence the oil leaks out.
So that really is my main concern...how hard of a job is it to replace this gasket and where could i find a step by step process if one exists? Thanks...
Name:  017_zps6c1b2efc.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  141.6 KB

Last edited by stbne; 08-31-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

VTEC gasket is an easy job, obtain new gasket, unscrew the bolts holding the solenoid to the head, take the old gasket off (scrape carefully if its stuck) and replace it.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:24 PM

Thanks... I'm glad i can do this one myself..I know oil leaks on hondas are not easy to track down...
also have been told not to waste my time with anything less than genuine honda parts and to torque the bolts to honda specs...overtightening will cause it to leak...