Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Civic start problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 04:30 AM
Default 99 Civic start problems

Hi guys,

I found your site this morning while at work and I was thinking maybe someone could put more light on my problem.

After a 5 min ride to the pharmacy. My 99 civic cranks no problem(battery and starter are not the issue) but it doesn't seem to do any fire at all or doesn't receive gas. The guy who towed me told me after checking my glove compartment that it was the Fuel Pump relay because it wasn't making any sound when he was turning the ignition. Other symptoms where that my power windows don't work anymore, neither do my whippers.

Anyways I found a used part, changed it. And it still doesn't ''click'' when I turn the ignition. I check rapidly some fuses. they seem good but I skipped one or two in the engine compartment which I will check later on tonight. I was told to check ground wires too.

Anyone else ever got to deal with this??

Thanks guys

Old 03-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It could be the ignition switch itself. They are known to go bad, there was even a recall on them which your car may still qualify for. Pull the brake handle up and watch the brake warning light on the dash while you try to start. It should stay on-- if it goes out or never comes on in the first place there's no power to the whole circuit, which usually means the ignition switch is bad.