Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99EX airbag issue, along with a couple of others

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Default 99EX airbag issue, along with a couple of others

I bought a 99Civic EX coupe a year and a half ago, it has a junkyard 1.6 engine/auto tranny and a replaced front clip. That said, it's been stone reliable and runs as smooth as you could expect. About two months ago, the SRS red light came on steady, after a couple of months of intermittent flashing. What's the consensus, airbag sensor bad, or do I need to replace the whole thing? I don't want a new bag, that would be more than the car is worth. It's my daughter's car, I want it to be safe (well, as safe as a 16 y/o Civic could be)

Second issue: my daughter says it gets hard to start when the tank shows 1/4 full or less. I can't tell any difference when I drive it, but she's in it a lot more than I am. Could it be a fuel pump issue, or the pickup partly clogged, what?

Third issue. She says the car will occasionally start to shake and run roughly; it doesn't matter if she's at highway speed, slow in town, or sitting at idle. Comes and goes. The only rough behavior I can get out of it is an occasional hiccup from the a/c compressor cycling on and off.

Any ideas on what's going on x3? I'd like to get her a newer car, but she only has a year to go before college, this car gets almost 38 mpg on the highway. Heck, I'd keep it as a DD and park my own car to save accumulating miles on it, but that's too many cars in the driveway with all the other stuff we have.