Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99LX dies after battery & oil light come on

Old 08-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Default 99LX dies after battery & oil light come on

Hey everyone, my 99LX has been shutting off immediately after the battery and oil light come on. It happened in second gear after making a turn and it also happened in 4th while cruising. The car also tends to shake prior to this happening. One time it shook about 30 seconds before it died and another time it shook about 2 minutes before shutting down. It usually takes 2 tries before it starts, but when it starts it seems fine and the battery and oil light are not on. Just to play it safe I head home immediately after this happens, and I'm not using the car anymore until I can get it worked on; but I wanted to gather some ideas here first.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:13 PM
HCF Member

the oil light indicates low oil pressure and should immediately be shut off to prevent engine failure. you should never keep driving if the oil light stays on.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It is normal for the battery and oil lights to come on whenever the key is on but the engine is not turning.

Check for codes in the ECU. Likely there is a sensor that works intermittently and the ECU may have detected the problem.

Sometimes the ICM (module in the distributor that drives the coil) will stop working when hot and cause the car to stall, but when it is that you usually need to wait several minutes for it to cool off before the car can be started again.