Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

? about dome light. put in a LED dome light and now it stays dim

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default ? about dome light. put in a LED dome light and now it stays dim

EDIT. does anyone know which side of the car the dome light wiring runs across?
ive found out i have to have some type of additional light source hooked up to it as well otherwise it wont go off all the way. ive tested it to another cold cathode kit and when i hook them both up the light goes out.... so now i just have to find a way to extend the wiring and wire up some extra lights under the dash or seats, which id like to do anyways. but i dont want to pull my car apart to find out how the wires are routed

well i just replaced my dome lights bulb with a 9LED bulb piece and it works fine when the doors open or switch turned ON, but WHY in my 94coupe does the leds stay dim?

im not to worried about it right now cause leds dont use much power at all so at least i dont have to worry as much about a dead battery if i leave the door cracked open overnight!

its just to cold for me to really mess around with it just yet....

im thinking id just have to use a diode on that sucker but anyone already delt with this problem?
i thought it was kinda odd because my 99s dome light works perfect when i put in the new led bulb...
im not sure if theirs posibly a short in the system which might be why my battery seems to drain so fast sometimes, or if its just a common problem in a 92-95civics.....
i know i had to use a diode on my Ebrakes ground wire for my alarm, but didnt think id have to do it to the dome light to replace the bulb with a LED bulb. its just to cold out to be pulling the headliner and soldering wires around.....

Old 02-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: ? about dome light. put in a LED dome light and now it stays dim

BUMP anyone else have this problem or could i have a short somewhere?

Old 02-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

WOW no one delt with this issue before? i tried to do a simple diode on the ground trigger wire BUT did not work. im not sure what to try to fix this issue.
i know the LED light is good because i had it in my old truck for about a year!

this is what it looks like if ya guys are not sure what i mean...

dome light LITE when door open.

and with the door closed....

and this is how it looks with the lense on it.

i know its not the best BUT it beats the hell outta the crapy dome light with the green plastic cover over it.LOL
i dont think its a bad light cause it worked great in my truck. id hate to buy a new light unit and it do the same thing!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:24 PM

i know it dosent help bro..but last night...very randomly...the stock dome light did the same thing your thread is about...i just poped it out and will worry about it later...but if someone has any imput...i know a little about wiring and my first thought was that the switch that turns it off and on may have shorted so that its not cutting the power completely...but again..until i digg in i cant determine that