Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ABS light on then off

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Default ABS light on then off

So I have a 2000 Honda Civic Ex automatic with ~115,000 miles and I live in western NY so I am generally driving on flat roads. Last weekend I went down to southern Pennsylvania and did quite a bit of driving in the Laurel Highlands. Lots and lots of steep hills to drive up and down....at one point my brakes started smoking. On the way home near Pittsburgh my ABS light came on but the brakes seemed to be working fine. The following day I went to stop at a stop sign and when I pushed on the brake it made the classic ABS sound of clicking and all the weird noises with the brake pedal pulsating. It did this two more times at stop signs then stopped and the ABS light went out. From there the brakes worked fine but now every so often this incident repeats itself(seems like its more prone to happen when driving in the rain). I'm hoping I can get some good suggestions in this forum as I know from reading other posts that the ABS unit can be very very expensive to replace and I really need to avoid that at all costs. Something tells me the incident where my brakes started smoking coming down a mountain is where this problem began. Thanks in advance for any help!