Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC Clutch Won't Engage (2000)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Default AC Clutch Won't Engage (2000)

I changed my timing belt, water pump, ac belt, power steering belt, alternator belt, changed oil, filter, and coolant. Now the AC doesn't blow cold air (clutch won't engage). Did numerous tests, only way I could get it engage was by jumping at relay with ground terminal wired to negative terminal of battery, also by putting paper clip in ground wire that is connected to PCM/ECU and grounding it to a bolt. Any way to fix this?

Old 07-21-2014, 02:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The control panel grounds a wire which goes to the thermostat (on the evaporator) then to the pressure switch and then to the ECU. So you have determined that the ECU and parts afterward are good. The problem would be the pressure switch or parts inside the car.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:40 PM

Thank you for the reply!

So you have determined that the ECU and parts afterward are good.
I'm glad to hear the ECU is good. Can you tell me the other parts afterward that are good?

The problem would be the pressure switch or parts inside the car.
Can you tell me the parts inside the car that could be the problem?

I checked the switch and got continuity, jumped the pressure switch connector and nothing. I checked each terminal for voltage (I think I only needed to check 1). I got voltage (don't remember which wire, blue and white?), but I seem to remember thinking it was lower than it should be, I'll check tomorrow.

Just to add some things I forgot to mention is OP. When I got the clutch to engage, cold air blew. And a few days before I did all the belt work, I was driving up a very steep hill, A/C on, gas to the floor for a minute or two and was losing speed. Parked on an incline and a bunch of coolant (I think it was coolant) leaked out of the car. I don't think I used the A/C on the way home so it could have not been working then, and not related to my belts work. I also changed the cylinder head gaskets and grommets because there was oil in one of the spark plug tubes.

Please excuse any useless information I may have mentioned or ignorant thinking/questions I may have. I am a novice at best.