Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Default AC not working

I took my car to the shop, 95 civic ex and got everything drained and refill, but somehow my ac compressor wont turn on, the clutch is not engaging, so its blowing hot air, I jump the ac relay plug and cooling fan plug with a paper clip, and the clutch engage, so i replace both the ac relay and fan relay located next to driver headlamp on top of the cooling fan, and its still not working, what or where should i look for next...any help would be appreciated...thanks

Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the condenser fan run?

Is the A/C pressure switch open (no continuity)?

Does the ECU wire from the compressor clutch relay have battery voltage?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Default ac not working

Does the condenser fan run? No the fan does not run, cause the ac doesn't work.

Is the A/C pressure switch open (no continuity)? No it doesn't

Does the ECU wire from the compressor clutch relay have battery voltage?
Yeah it has battery voltage.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Sometimes the condenser fan runs but the compressor doesn't, other times neither one does, in both cases "the air conditioner doesn't work" but it's an important thing to check for the diagnosis.

On a '95, when you press the A/C button with the engine running and the interior fan on, the following should happen:

Condenser fan starts.
Engine idle speed increases.
Compressor engages.

If it doesn't even get to the first step (condenser fan) and the fuse under the hood is good (you've already checked), the problem is probably with the controls inside the car. See this thread, post #10 has some steps to check them.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=83933

Ultimately for that '95 owner it turned out to be a bad ground under the hood, but I'd first consider the more likely problems of the control panel and the thermal control.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

So, when you press the A/C button, the fan does not run and the compressor does not engage, right? If so:

-When you press the A/C button, does the light turn on?

-What did you jump to what to make the clutch engage and the fan run? More details would help.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:30 AM
Default Ac issues

Yea the ac button light comes on, and i used a paper clip to test the ac relay located on top of the ac condenser next to the driver head light.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
Sometimes the condenser fan runs but the compressor doesn't, other times neither one does, in both cases "the air conditioner doesn't work" but it's an important thing to check for the diagnosis.

On a '95, when you press the A/C button with the engine running and the interior fan on, the following should happen:

Condenser fan starts.
Engine idle speed increases.
Compressor engages.

If it doesn't even get to the first step (condenser fan) and the fuse under the hood is good (you've already checked), the problem is probably with the controls inside the car. See this thread, post #10 has some steps to check them.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=83933

Ultimately for that '95 owner it turned out to be a bad ground under the hood, but I'd first consider the more likely problems of the control panel and the thermal control.
My buddy works at honda, so he did all the testing for me today, and everything under the hood is legit, he say maybe its the thermal control, i hope so, so tomorrow i should have an answer or maybe next week cause im a little busy and might not have time to bring in the car. So i'll try #10 myself, he dont know this and if its the problem ill surprise him, But still any help from this forum is a helping hand. I hate to say this, but he works on my car like its his, so i dont have to do any paper work, ill just give him some extra cash when he fix this problem...lol im like hondas vip guest

Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 AM

^It helps to not jack threads. You should start a new one or search in the future.

It sounds like your compressor seized. The high pitched sound was likely the belt squealing a little until the clutch broke.

Nothing lasts forever. I've had this happen twice.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

get a new compressor. **** it