Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Pilot bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 06:32 PM
HCF Member
Default Pilot bearing

Hey guys so as many of you know I'm swapping an ls into my ef. So I just bought an ACT clutch package. Included was a throw out bearing and pilot bearing. But I have no idea what a pilot bearing is, where it goes and how to install it, I couldn't find it in my shop manual. YES I SEARCHED. If anyone could help that would be amazing!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:14 PM
gwl
HCF Member

The primary purpose of the pilot bearing is to give a low friction support for the end of the input shaft of the transmission. The pilot bearing is placed in a hole at the end of the crankshaft of the engine.

I copied and paste the above paragraph from a website. The easiest way to remove the pilot bearing is shove a bunch grease inside the middle hole and use a solid piece round metal that will fit inside the hole of the bearing. After use a hammer to drive the metal rod to hydraulically pop the bearing off. It may a couple times to get the hang of it but it works. Then you can carefully replace the new bearing at the end of the crankshaft.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by gwl
The primary purpose of the pilot bearing is to give a low friction support for the end of the input shaft of the transmission. The pilot bearing is placed in a hole at the end of the crankshaft of the engine.

I copied and paste the above paragraph from a website. The easiest way to remove the pilot bearing is shove a bunch grease inside the middle hole and use a solid piece round metal that will fit inside the hole of the bearing. After use a hammer to drive the metal rod to hydraulically pop the bearing off. It may a couple times to get the hang of it but it works. Then you can carefully replace the new bearing at the end of the crankshaft.
Just curious, are you a mechanic?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
HCF Member

^ no joke, lol, that's the way i do it.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
HCF Member

Thanks a ton and should I lube the new bearing before putting it in?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It should be a sealed bearing, with rubber seals on both sides. It's already lubricated.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:09 AM
gwl
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Just curious, are you a mechanic?
Not a mechanic by trade. I work on my car time to time. I like wrenching on my 65 Chevelle since it more fun and easier to work on. On the Civic, I try to do most of the repairs on my own but working on a slanted driveway can be hazardous.

The grease method worked on my 91 Toyota 4 wheel drive. A friend of mine show me the trick years ago and I didn't believe it until I tried it.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by gwl
Not a mechanic by trade. I work on my car time to time. I like wrenching on my 65 Chevelle since it more fun and easier to work on. On the Civic, I try to do most of the repairs on my own but working on a slanted driveway can be hazardous.

The grease method worked on my 91 Toyota 4 wheel drive. A friend of mine show me the trick years ago and I didn't believe it until I tried it.
I was just wondering because I've noticed that you show a lot of car savvy.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
I was just wondering because I've noticed that you show a lot of car savvy.
Thanks for the complements, I just know enough to get myself into trouble.