Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC thermal protector opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Default AC thermal protector opinions

My thermal protector is bad on my 02 Civic EX (120K). I have jumpered across the outside wires on the plug and then my compressor clutch kicks in so I'm pretty sure the thermal protector is bad. I would like to get some opinions on whether to replace the thermal protector or to replace the the whole AC compressor. Also if I do replace the whole AC compressor should I go with a re-manufactured one, an OEM one or buy a Honda original? Or if I go with the thermal protector anyone know where I can get one cheaper than the Honda dealership (approx. $65)? Thank ahead of time!

Old 09-29-2010, 03:57 AM

bump

Old 09-29-2010, 04:59 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mjlenz
My thermal protector is bad on my 02 Civic EX (120K). I have jumpered across the outside wires on the plug and then my compressor clutch kicks in so I'm pretty sure the thermal protector is bad. I would like to get some opinions on whether to replace the thermal protector or to replace the the whole AC compressor. Also if I do replace the whole AC compressor should I go with a re-manufactured one, an OEM one or buy a Honda original? Or if I go with the thermal protector anyone know where I can get one cheaper than the Honda dealership (approx. $65)? Thank ahead of time!
I didn't know that car's A/C system has thermal protector equipped. Obviously I am not qualified to say anything solid here. But the answer to question you are asking is depending upon how much you can afford and what kind of warranty comes with all of options.

If $65 part fix the problem, I would just do that and see how it would go. Hopefully replacement of this part does not require opening of the system. If it is then, it will be another story for me.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Some people just jump it and leave it that way. Its only purpose is to protect the compressor if someone keeps running the system while it is very low on refrigerant. If you are the only one driving the car, just remember to disengage the A/C should you notice a loss of cooling performance until it can be checked out.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Some people just jump it and leave it that way. Its only purpose is to protect the compressor if someone keeps running the system while it is very low on refrigerant. If you are the only one driving the car, just remember to disengage the A/C should you notice a loss of cooling performance until it can be checked out.
Isn't it called "low pressure cut-off switch"? I thought it is something different from Thermal Protector. If it is the cut off s/w, I would check the state of charge with gauge set before jumping it.

Last edited by maachan513; 09-29-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

No the thermal protector is mounted on the compressor case and measures the temperature of the compressor. It doesn't touch the refrigerant (which means that it can be replaced with system still charged). The pressure switch is a different part.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

No the thermal protector is mounted on the compressor case and measures the temperature of the compressor. It doesn't touch the refrigerant (which means that it can be replaced with system still charged). The pressure switch is a different part.
Okay, I just checked IPC and I saw Thermal Protector on the compressor. I didn't know A/C on automobiles come with it. Learn something new everyday!!

So, the guy is having issue with thermal protector, not pressure switch. I got confused with your post referenced with low system pressure.

I would change $65 part and be done with it, then. Provided that the failure of TP is due to faulty TP not faulty Compressor. Does TP reset itself? after the unit temp is gone within the temp limit?

Last edited by maachan513; 09-29-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's supposed to reset itself, but on those years it was a lemon part. They corrode inside or something and become permanently open even if the compressor never overheated.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 AM
HCF Member

It's supposed to reset itself, but on those years it was a lemon part. They corrode inside or something and become permanently open even if the compressor never overheated.
That would make sense now.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am replacing the timing belt right now (way overdue) so have access to the switch so it would be easy to replace but I wonder if the replacement protector is junk too? Otherwise I'm seriously thinking about permanently jumpering it out. If I were ever to replace the compressor what's your opinion on getting a re-manufactured, OEM or the original Honda compressor? Thx again!

Quick Reply: AC thermal protector opinions