Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Accessory Power Outlet Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Default Accessory Power Outlet Trouble

I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX. The accessory power outlet (APO) long ago popped out, but it still worked fine. However, recently one of the two wires to the APO socket was severed. I tried to splice the wire, but the wire is broken so far into the socket that I have not had success splicing.

I am thinking I could purchase a new socket, which would allow me more room to splice the wires, except I cannot figure out what this part is actually called. I'm talking about the little black piece in the picture.

Thank you!!!

Accessory Power Outlet Trouble-dscn4025.jpg

Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Default Accessory Power Outlet Issue

This photo shows the power outlet partially plugged into the piece in question (for perspective). Thank you!

Accessory Power Outlet Trouble-dscn4026.jpg

Old 11-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You can just crimp standard 0.25 female push-on connectors onto the wires, then plug them onto the outlet. Be sure to get polarity right.

I think all that wiring plugs into the car harness a short distance back. In that case you could remove the whole set from a parts car, including the bit of the dash where the outlet mounts so it is not hanging free.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
You can just crimp standard 0.25 female push-on connectors onto the wires, then plug them onto the outlet. Be sure to get polarity right.
Thank you kindly for responding.

The wire on (in) the little black socket was severed at the point of the original crimp. The blue arrow attempts to point at this, but the picture is not fantastic. I cannot remove the (original) crimp allowing me to add the female connector. Also, because of the location, I cannot figure out how to crimp the connector even if I could access the wire - even needle nosed pliers can't quite fit.

I apologize if I am misusing terminology.

Does that make sense? Any additional thoughts? Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails Accessory Power Outlet Trouble-dscn4032.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I'm saying to do away with the black connector entirely. Cut it off of the black wire that is still attached, and throw the whole thing away. Crimp new terminals onto the two wires and plug them onto the outlet.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Default Oh, I see!

Brilliant! I did not realize I could do that. Thank you!

One more question ... okay, two ... how can I be sure to get the polarity correct? Is it safe to assume that the yellow wire needs to be connected to the gold tine/prong since it appears to match up that way through the black connector?

Wait, I guess I actually had three more questions (sorry). Do you think I need to somehow protect or cover the connection (that is, will it get hot or be dangerous or vulnerable if exposed)?

Seriously, thank you so much!!!

Old 11-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yellow wire to the center pin, it is the positive live wire. Black wire on the outside, it is ground.

Ideally the socket would be secured into a hole in the dash to protect it. If not you should at least wrap electrical tape over the connections on the back to prevent shorts. If you're using it with the heater plug to light cigarettes, I'd expect the back end to get too hot to touch. Otherwise it should stay cool.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Perfect, thank you!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:35 AM

I am having a simmiler problem with my power outlet for my 97 honda civic. The outlet is conected fine but it fell out of the hole that it was sitting in on the dash. I can't see in to see if it screwed into the hole or if it was just glued on. Would I have to take the dash apart to find the part that it screwed into or can I buy a new part? I can post a picture if that would help also.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Default Re: Similar Problem

A picture might help.

The inner ring of the outlet cover fits into the notched hole - after a quarter-turn it holds in place (poorly, clearly). Do you have the outlet cover?

Quick Reply: Accessory Power Outlet Trouble