Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Adjusting Distributor/Timing on '94 DX

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:32 AM
HCF Member
Default Adjusting Distributor/Timing on '94 DX

Alright, me and my step-dad changed the timing belt and re-adjusted the belt 4 times so far. It still isn't running like it should. The problem is slow acceleration. I just have a feeling it isn't timed like it should. For what it's worth, it is an Automatic, 4 door, non-VTEC, 1.5 engine.

My primary question is about the distributor - I have NO idea where exactly it should be located. I can loosen the bolts and move the distributor back and forth and I am aware that changes the timing - I can hear the difference while idling. My problem, is that I do NOT know where the distributor should sit.

A little googling and If found this link. I do not have a Timing Gun (if needed I can get it). I'm still confused about the distributor - where it needs to be located exactly.

Here is the diagram we used while timing it - we did it EXACTLY like that.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. The more relevant the thoughts the more they are appreciated I need help/reassurance/whatever else. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Another thought - is the belt supposed to be on the pulleys a certain way, or can the belt be thrown on them however I want was long as it fits and the pulleys are 100% where they need to be?

Last edited by Deltree; 10-07-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
HCF Member

The belt has to go on a specific way or the tensioner won't work. There is only one way it can go.
For timing, you need to jump the plug under the glovebox to the right. And you will need a timing gun. There are marks on the pulley that need to be set with the timing light. As you adjust the dist you will see the marks move forward or backward. Just adjust until they are aligned.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

Alright well the belt is on nice and snug so I am assuming that it is on properly (is that safe to assume?)

Question - what is the difference between ignition timing and cam timing? I thought timing was timing. I think I am wrong here.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:45 PM
HCF Member

If you had the belt installed wrong, it would not run. (incorrectly routed as opposed to off a tooth or so)
Never heard of cam timing. Timing is setting the point at which the fuel is detonated in correlation to the position of the piston.
The diagram you show above is for installing the timing belt. I guess this may be what you are referring to as cam timing since you are setting the cam to the crank.

Last edited by TiggerDX; 10-07-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:56 PM
HCF Member

I was told by my buddy who has worked on MANY early 90s Hondas and he specifically said I don't even need a timing gun. Is he mistaken?

Old 10-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Chubby Chaser

for one, your not gonna time anything if you dont jump the service connector plug, the ecu will just over ride it. use the search and do your research. there is many write ups on this.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:45 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Deltree
I was told by my buddy who has worked on MANY early 90s Hondas and he specifically said I don't even need a timing gun. Is he mistaken?
Unless he's developed a new way of timing a car without one, I would have to say you will need a timing light. You can move the distributor anywhere you want but the computer will set the timing back to where it was unless you jump the plug. But if you changed the timing belt and made any other changes, you should get a timing light and check to see that the timing is correct. If not, you will need the timing light to correct it.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:19 PM
HCF Member

Then that settles that lol. I will try and get a hold of a timing gun and jump the plug tomorrow and move the distributor around. That easily could be all of my problems right there. Thanks guys.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 PM

can anybody tell me y my 99 civic coupe with a b18c1 with obd2 to obd1 conversion has trouble starting and when it dose start it idles at 2500 to 3000 rpm and fluctuates i messed with the ilde screw and nothing changed and also the CEL came on any help would be great