Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Air Conditioning - Intermittent

Old 05-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Default Air Conditioning - Intermittent

Okay, I have a 2001 Civic (Which I absolutely love). But, I am having AC problems.

Okay, a few weeks ago I SWEAR it was pumping cool air. I could be crazy, but it smelled like air conditioning and it was a little frosty(But I could be crazy).Now, when it's hot out, and i need the AC the most, it doesn't seem to work. It's relatively hot out right now, and if I turn it on I seem to get no cold air. I got a little bit this morning, for a few minutes, then nothing.[:@]

I took it for a recharge last year and I was told it was full.

Is there a relay switch that could be broken?

Is there a temp gauge that regulates the ac that could be broken, or is the ac just on or off?

Is there a fuse I'm missing that could be blown?

Is there any other basic maintenance/part that could be gone that is preventing this from working properly?

If I need to replace the whole unit, is it something that is doable myself (with the exception of adding coolant)?

I have no problems doing basic car stuff: Brakes, Thermostat, Hoses,Stereo wiring.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Air Conditioning - Intermittent

The answer to all those questions is yes. The first test to do is to open the hood, start the engine and set the A/C for maximum cold. Then look to see if the condenser fan is running and the compressor is engaged. When the compressor is engaged, the plate on the front of the pulley with the flat springs will be spinning.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 PM

The compressor appears to engage.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

OK, does the pipeline leading from the evaporator (passenger compartment) back to the compressor get cold?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:56 PM

I just drove home. WIth plenty of cold air. The pipeline was very cold.

Tomorrow, however, it may not pump cold air at all.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You may have an intermittently faulty clutch relay or A/C thermostat.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:48 AM

Isthe A/C thermostat or Clutch Relay accessible and fixable?

Is there a resource online to buy these? I can't seem to find them.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Another cause of intermittent operation is the compressor clutch gap is too wide. Typically it will occur when underhood temperatures are high. The system attempts to engage the compressor but even though there is power on the clutch wire, it will not pull in. You will find the fan running but compressor not in that case (though there are other causes of that, the definitive test is to measure if there is power on the clutch wire). The gap can be adjusted by taking the clutch plate off and taking some of the shim washers out.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 PM

hi durden, did you resolved your problem re: Air Conditioning - Intermittent prob? I've same prob too with my 2001 honda civic... Hope you can share your experience on how to troubleshoot this matter... tnx

Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by squall
hi durden, did you resolved your problem re: Air Conditioning - Intermittent prob? I've same prob too with my 2001 honda civic... Hope you can share your experience on how to troubleshoot this matter... tnx
check the compressor clutch relay

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Conditioning - Intermittent