Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Air Conditioning - Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:24 AM

where can i locate the compressor clutch relay? thanks for the reply. i'll try to check when i got home

Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 AM

On an 01 Civic i'm not entirely sure. If it's like previous generation Civics, it will be mounted on the radiator support right above the A/C compressor or in that vicinity. If not, then I think it might be in your under-hood fuse box.

Just take a look at your A/C compressor and follow the wire that comes off of it and see if it leads to a relay.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 AM

thanks... where can i locate the compressor clutch relay.. can i switch it to condenser fan relay and check if it is working?

Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

On a 2001, I think both relays are in the under-hood fuse box. There is also another relay or two of the same type in the box that can be used for a substitution test.

Check that the clutch wire (the larger wire that goes to the pulley end of the compressor) is getting power when the compressor should be on. If it is the relay is OK and there is a problem with the clutch.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:21 PM

sir where do i locate the compressor clutch relay?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:26 PM

ah got it... i'll check it later... but probably i've run out of freon... my a/c cooling are not working anymore...

Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 PM

You can only run out of refrigerant if there is a leak. Intermittent cooling is not consistent without running out of refrigerant.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:52 PM

yah that's what i'am thinking in the 1st place... during last week it was intermittent... it was on in the morning when i go to work but there are times when i used it after work it won't work out.. and this time there is no cold producing only the fan... anyway i'll bring it to the technician this weekend to gauge the freon and also to diagnose the prob... i'll try to check later the relays if it is ok... thanks for the info

Old 05-19-2010, 08:24 PM

What I am saying is that if you were leaking refrigerant then it wouldn't have been intermittently blowing cold air. It would have started out cold and gotten progressively warmer until you don't have enough refrigerant left. I think that it is still more likely that it's the relay... it's not that hard to just swap out the relay with another in the engine bay and check...

P.S. R134a (the refrigerant in your system) is not freon.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 PM

ah ok noted... thanks a lot for the info... this is my 1st time i've experienced this prob... i'll swap the relay in the under hood fuse box later and check if will resolve my prob. =D

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning - Intermittent