Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1996 honda civic..how to check timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
HCF Member
Default 1996 honda civic..how to check timing belt?

Hi,

I was wondering how do you check the timing belt on a 1996 honda civic? Is it an easy thing to do? I've heard from some places that it can be as easy as unscrewing a cover off the engine and looking at the belt and seeing if it's worn or not. yet from other sources i've heard you actually have to take the engine out which would probably be too advanced for me.

anyone know?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:16 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by briceman124
Hi,

I was wondering how do you check the timing belt on a 1996 honda civic? Is it an easy thing to do? I've heard from some places that it can be as easy as unscrewing a cover off the engine and looking at the belt and seeing if it's worn or not. yet from other sources i've heard you actually have to take the engine out which would probably be too advanced for me.

anyone know?
You should just be able to take the valve cover(thats the one with the honda logo engraved in it) then remove the timing belt cover which is only 2 bolts. Look for any rips, tears, shredded threads and cracks on the belt. If you don't know the last time the belt was changed then you might want to change it anyway. You do not want a timing belt snapping on civics..since they have interferring engines.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Red face questions on timing belts for a 1991 honda civic hatchback dx 1.5L

what happens to the timing if the belt fails on the road?... would you have to check the whole engine or just get a new belt?

and also is changing the belt as easy as just taking it out and swaping it with the new one or do you have to actually time the belt itself with the engine... if so can someone post a diy on that?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If it fails on the road, the engine will die, it will not restart. The car will need to be towed. There is a >50% chance that the valves will be damaged requiring major work or a new head besides a new belt.

It's pretty easy to change by yourself. The main issue is unscrewing the crank pulley bolt as it is very tight. An impact wrench makes it simple.

Generally whenever you buy a new used Civic it's a good idea to change the belt so you know that it will be OK for a while.