Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Automatic Transmission Fluid Dipstick awful loose

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:51 PM
HCF Member
Default Automatic Transmission Fluid Dipstick awful loose

2002 Honda Civic EX.

I've had the car about 2 months. I'm tinkering around today and decided to check the transmission fluid level. I noticed the dipstick is awful loose in the transmission. Is this normal? Previous vehicles I've had the transmission fluid dipstick fits snug or snaps into place. It has the right amout of fluid in there, so it's not leaking. Maybe it's just me being nervous.

Anyone else find that their's is loose?

Old 09-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

Mine is very loose. I think they are just made that way. As long as it doesn't fall out down the road your fine.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:27 PM
HCF Member

Mine's loose too. Sometimes I think about putting a little clip along whatever metal support is right near the dipstick so I can put the dipstick in, and then turn it till it snaps into the clip.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned

If you do, post up a DIY.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

anyone have any luck putting a different dipstick in that fits more snug? I ran through a huge puddle of water today and couldn't help but think a few drops of water could get into the transmission with the loose fitting dipstick.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 PM
HCF Member

From what I've seen, they're supposed to be loose. Mine seats down on the tube just fine but doesn't "click" like the oil dipstick does. Maybe crimp the tube a teeny bit if seems REALLY loose, like the dipstick will jump out?

Old 09-02-2010, 04:57 AM
HCF Member

I wrapped a rubberband around it and that made the seal better, (not sure if that is ok for the car or not) it hasn't melted yet and still have a good seal now (did it about 1.5-2months ago)

Old 09-02-2010, 05:12 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by seatazzz
From what I've seen, they're supposed to be loose. Mine seats down on the tube just fine but doesn't "click" like the oil dipstick does. Maybe crimp the tube a teeny bit if seems REALLY loose, like the dipstick will jump out?
Yes it is REALLY loose, like if I hit a speed bump at 25 mph it could jump out. Or if I ran through a big puddle water could jump in!

Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 PM
HCF Member

I just checked mine, scratch crimping the tube, that won't work. I can't think of anything else you could do, other than the fact that mine is loose also and has never jumped out (lots of speedbumps around here) and my tranny fluid is clean.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 AM

i have the same problem in my 02... although does anyone notice that they have a leak of tranny fluid as well??? i believe mine is coming from the loose dipstick problem...

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Fluid Dipstick awful loose