Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bad ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Default Bad ECU?

I put in a domestic market motor a couple of years ago in my daughter's 95 civic 1.5 (non-vtech). Not sure exactly, but I don't believe the cruise control worked after the replacement. Now I'm driving the car and I need it to work. The first thing I noticed was the tach doesn't always work right. Then the car started pinging under load, so I replaced the coil, cap, wires and the ignitor (and fixed a seal that I didn't realize was leaking). The engine revs freely. It only stumbles while driving. Almost like the timing is off (I set the timing when I put the distributor back in). It is only showing a 41 code ( think that has been on since the swap).

After the distributor parts, it acts the same. I noticed the speedometer drop to 0 and bounce back up. I replaced the VSS (thought it might help the cruise control as well) and got no speedo. Put the old one back on and the speedo is back. Even though the car was driven with no working speedo, no additional errors showed up.

Anyone run into any symptoms like this? Shouldn't the ECU thrown a 17?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:37 PM

isn't a bad o2 sensor code 41?
As far as the timing, are you 100% that the mechanical timing (timing belt side) is correct? You should be able to rotate the assembly (front wheel off the ground) and turn the crank to tdc. That would be the easiest way to check if that is set correctly, too.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:49 PM

The car is only throwing a 41. I will have to do your timing test. I don't remember if I put a new timing belt on when I swapped the engine, so perhaps it has slipped.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:27 PM

It's a possibility. I remember doing a timing belt on an integra, but this is similar. Each time I would pull the timing belt to the intake side, the exhaust side would rotate and cause it to be out of time. My buddy and i decided to move the exhaust cam a little past tdc, so that when we slipped it over the intake side, the exhaust would then line up properly. Never personally done a timing belt on a single cam, but the same concept could be applied.

the speedo and gauge cluster dropping out sounds like a wiring issue IMO.

Have you replaced the o2 sensor by chance as well to try and clear the CEL?

Old 01-15-2016, 08:38 AM

Well, that was a good call on the timing belt. It was the original Honda belt, so it was due! I forgot the engine was a 96+ 1.5, so the first plug wires and timing belt purchased didn't fit. Running smooth now.

For the speed sensor... I'm thing of riding on the engine with the hood open while my wife drives around the block and I wiggle the wires. Darwin Award/Utube hilarity to follow.

The speedo is def worse now, so I think I'm going to try a new sensor. I know it's possible that it's the cluster, but with the cruise not working...

Old 01-16-2016, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by MartinMalley
For the speed sensor... I'm thing of riding on the engine with the hood open while my wife drives around the block and I wiggle the wires. Darwin Award/Utube hilarity to follow.
Not sure if you are joking and I'm not trying to b a d1ck, but this is a horrendous idea. Why not just raise up the front of the car on jack stands and have you wife lightly pressing the gas (while in gear/Drive) to get the wheels moving? You can then jiggle the wire around the way without risking your life lol

Old 01-21-2016, 03:36 AM

I found a better way, but it will not lead to a hilarious video. I unbolted the sending unit, put the pin in and spun it by hand with the ignition turned to on (car not running, spotter watching the speedo). Definitely a wire so I'll have to chase that down this weekend. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the spot where the signal cut out so I'll have to break out the ohm meter.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:48 PM

sounds good and keep us updated. I didn't realize that the timing belt solved your stumbling issue. Nice to hear.