Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bad Speed Sensor or instrument cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:44 AM
HCF Member
Red face Bad Speed Sensor or instrument cluster?

Hey just tacking one problem at a time as they arise. I have a 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback Si with M/T and D16z6 engine. Well, I have 282,000 miles on the car and I rhad the motor rebuilt in February. I didn't do a B16a2, yet because I am trying to save gas. Well back to the problem. I am noticing that the speedometer is a little jumpy around 65 mph to 75 mph. The needle jumps around back and forth 2 mph at a time. I will stablize sometimes after driving it for over an hour or slowly accelerate. Sometimes it is a little jumpy right before 15 mph - 25 mph. I don't know if it is my instrument panel cluster or the speed control VSS? If I am not even close, please advise! Again, the cluster has 282,000 miles. The only thing rebuilt is the D16z6 motor.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:08 PM
June 2010 ROTM

If CEL is on, check the CEL FIRST!!

If the CEL pertains to the speedo sensor, ding ding ding, it's probably just the sensor located ontop of the transmission.

If CEL is NOT on....
Problem: The speedo doesn't work but the odometer works.
Solution: Replace the cluster or just replace the speedo gauge

Problem: The speedo doesn't work AND the odometer doesn't work.
Solution 1*: Bad Sensor - Replace the speedo sensor in the transmission.
*CEL should be on
Solution 2: Bad Gauge - Replace cluster or just replace the speedo gauge
IF Neither solution above fixed it.
Solution 3: Check all wiring from the sensor to the gauge. Because the signal is disrupted somewhere.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When you're out on the highway, see if the odometer tracks with the mile post signs. If it does it is probably the speedometer itself, not the sensor. (This assumes you have stock size tires.).

The CEL may eventually turn on if it's the sensor. Check that your CEL actually works, it should come on for a couple seconds when you turn the key to on but not all the way to start.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:51 PM
HCF Member

Well, the odometer turns. The CEL is not on. The rpm and other guages work fine. When I tested the CEL lights; the CEL light came on for a few seconds when turning the key to on. So it looks like it will be the speedometer. I will still check the accuracy of the odometer. I guess the odometer is controlled by the speed control sensor?

Old 11-29-2008, 10:35 PM
June 2010 ROTM

The speedometer and the odometer receive the exact same signal. So if one works and the other doesn't it's the component's internal circuitry.

Simply put, your speedo is dead foo.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

id say replace the cluster with a lower milage unit

good thing for you is if you have a EX/SI cluster then you can cheap out on your 92-95 civic and buy a DX non tack cluster and then simply swap out the center speedometer.... the speedometer section is the exact same. very easy to push the tabs on the clusters face to remove the outter clear bezel and then the black center bezel and then DO NOT REMOVE THE SCREWS ON THE FACE OF THE GAUGES!!! flip the cluster over and remove the 3 philips screws on the back and the speedometer section will simply fall right out the front....

i saved about 30bucks buying a DX cluster to fix my ex clusters bad speedometer!

dont worry about my extra lighting there

Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 PM
HCF Member

You guys kick A$$! Thanks for the advise!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
dont worry about my extra lighting there
addiction2bass and his LEDZZZZZZ

Old 12-16-2008, 11:34 AM
HCF Member

Well I haven't replaced the speedometer yet because one cold morning my CEL light came on once when I took off in 1st gear on a bucking start. Three weeks later it hasn't came on. I am waiting to see if I have a bad speed sensor as well. While I look for a speedometer, I am going to monitoring the cel and speedometer. I noticed that first thing on a cold morning my speedometer will not move until after running 2 tenths of a mile (odometer working) which points at the speedometer again. I also noticed sometimes it will peg to 100mph mark when I am really going about 65mph. After a few tenths of a mile it will be working again except for being jumpy at 67mph and little jumpy around 27mph. Just kinda putting down all the data so just incase someone might be experiencing the same problem, this could be help once I spend the money to see what the is the fix.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

just replace the cluster
very simple!

Quick Reply: Bad Speed Sensor or instrument cluster?