Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Body work help needed

Old 12-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Default Body work help needed

Hey Guys!

I am new here so please take it easy on me. Anyways I have a 1990 Honda civic DX that I have had since I was 16 (I am about to be 30 next month). Recently I have taken to getting it going again as a project with my dad, I stopped driving it after experiencing an accident that only caused cosmetic damage.

I recently replaced my broken body kit bumper with a stock one and the ONLY thing I have left to install is my driver side headlight but, the bar that holds my headlight (I was told that was the radiator support) is bent, but only on the driver side, Is there any way I can DIY it myself without having to remove everything, or is it better for me to try and find a replacement? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:39 AM
HCF Member

Congratulations on the project. It will last in your memory for a long-long time.

The radiator support must be straightened in order for the headlight to mount and adjust correctly. Body men use hydraulics to achieve this, amateurs make do. For instance, you can use a small bottle jack and a piece of 2x4, or something as such. Even the old fashioned bumper jacks have served me in this sort of 'spreading' on occasion. You must look at the point of impact, the angle, and then try to reverse it. Measure the good side diagonally and then bring the crunched side to that measurement on the damaged side. Back and forth, back and forth measurements. Note one thing here; fit and finish on the outside are mostly all that the professional body men concern themselves with. Laymen don't look beneath at the repairs. Straightening techniques beneath the skin usually result in 2 lb. sledge whacks, prying with large bars, pushing with hydraulics, etc. As long as things like the hood/fender align, the fans have clearance, and the headlight can be aimed correctly, then the marks from being smacked around have little consequence beneath. That said, try to at least finesse it into place before resorting to gorilla tactics. Get everything as square as you can. You will like the outcome much more. You can even buy a new radiator support at a junk yard if yours is kinked up too badly.

Good luck, and good on you.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx