Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:51 AM
Default Brake light switch

Hello hoping some one can clarify some information for me. I have a 98 Honda Civic si coupe that I was having light issues with, First I lost my tail lights then turn signals and hazard lights. I managed to figure out that my trailer hitch wire was the culprit, so now my tail light turn signal and hazard lights all work again but my brake lights don't. So I pulled the brake light switch and am testing it for continuity and just want to verify my findings. The switch has 4 pins 2 upper and 2 lower the 2 upper are smaller thinner pins and the 2 lower are much wider when I check for continuity on the upper the switch is seems to be open when not pressed and closed when pressed and the exact opposite happens with the bottom pins they seem closed when not pressed and open when pressed, now I'm assuming the upper pins would be for the cruise control and the lower for the brake lights. Is the correct and does this mean the switch is ok.. If so why would the cruise work but not the brake lights, all my fuses are ok unless there is one I'm missing and help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The two big pins are for the brake lights. Check that one of the light wires at the switch has voltage all the time, it comes from a fuse under the hood in the fuse box near the battery. The same fuse also supplies the horn, so a quick check is to try the horn.

The other wire goes to the lights and it should get voltage when the pedal is pressed down (switch button NOT pressed). If you have that, the problem must be between there and the bulbs. Of course you've already checked the bulbs, right? It's not uncommon to find every bulb has burnt out, this usually means the voltage from the alternator is excessive.

Last edited by mk378; 01-05-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:24 AM

I have Honda Civic 2007... 1st brake light went out a few months ago...forgot about it. yesterday someone stopped me and said both lower brake lights are out. I have 3rd in window. Went to advance auto...told the guy make and model of bulbs I needed. Went home put them on...immediate blow on them. I was advised I was probably given the incorrect bulb to check the numbers. Now I don't have rear blinker lights. So checked numbers...yep not the same. Exchanged for correct bulbs. Still no brake lights but have rear blinker lights again. If it was a fuse, wouldn't I NOT have the 3rd brake light? AND...if it was the switch...same wouldn't I NOT have the 3rd brake light. need advise on how to proceed. Been told could be a ground wire but no idea how to check that. Any help would be appreciated!