Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

brake lights stuck on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 PM
HCF Member
Default brake lights stuck on?

today I park my car and go in to work, 9 1/2 hours later I come out, and before I even unlock my door, I notice my brake lights are on. no headlights or dash, just the two brake lights and the one in the middle. after some wtf troubleshooting with the golfcart security guard who is a Honda freak says something about a button that triggers the brake light off and on.

my brother (another honda freak) did something, put on a gasket or something, and I'm ok. I do notice the clicking in the gearshift (the neutral safety switch?) now that i didnt notice before. no difficulty or difference in shifting the gears at all.

so what is this that happened? while the lights were on bright for 9 HOURS when i turned the key it clicked to a dead battery, and I do plan on having it checked out in the morning to keep my sanity in check.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:05 AM

i am pretty sure that the brake light issue is the same i got a month ago. there is a switch for the brake lights above the brake pedal. when the button on that switch is pushed the lights are off. when you brake you move the brake pedal away from that switch so the button is not pushed and the brake lights are on.
on the pedal there is a little plastic pad (pad, pedal stopper) that pushes the switch button. if that plastic pad is missing the switch button won't get pushed and that's why the brake lights stay on the whole time till the battery is drained.
instead of that plastic pad you can put in a nut and bolt with the head of the bolt facing the switch. that is probably what your brother did.

i don't think that the gearshift has anything to do with that brake light issue.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Now that the switch is working you should be able to just jump start the car, battery should revive, and everything will be OK.

On an automatic you have to press the brake pedal to be able to shift out of park. This is a safety feature to help prevent the car from moving unintentionally. With the switch on all the time, the car thinks you are pressing the brake pedal all the time, so it was still no problem shifting. Now it clicks like it should, and you should not be able to shift out of park without pressing the brake pedal.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:16 AM
HCF Member

ok, so it's not a huge deal. yea, he did a screw or someting down there. the battery was ok lastnite. on my way to work now, hope it starts

Edit: What I thought was trash on the floor was actually the broken pieces of whatever this button piece that broke off causing this whole problem.

Last edited by PuterChickFL; 08-14-2009 at 10:13 PM.