Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brake master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:30 AM
Default Brake master cylinder

Hi all,

I have a 2001 Civic. My wife said last night that at a light while holding the brake pedal it went down almost to the floor. She said this has happened twice. (I said thanks for telling me). Anyway, I went out and tried to duplicate it. I pumped the brakes and applied firm pressure and the pedal held firm. Brakes work good. I am an old guy and in years ago this usually meant the master cylinder is having problems. Could it be anything else? I have had brake issues with my son's Ford Taurus bleeding the brakes after doing a master cylinder change. Ford requires using their software to excercise the ABS module to get the air out. Would I have these issues with the Civic? Thanks for any help.

Ed

Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 PM

when trying to duplicate a problem like a dropping brake pedal, dont use firm pressure on the pedal, this forces the seals against the master cylinder bore and the complaint is rarly duplicated this way.
but use very light pressure on the pedal, and usually you will be more likely to verify the complaint, and feel the pedal sink to the floor.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 AM
HCF Member
Default Master Cylinder and bleeding

Ed: Your problem is almost certainly the master cylinder failing. I had the exact symptoms and a replacement master solved it. As the previous poster said it will only occur with light touch on the brake pedal as one would have waiting at a light. There is no secret to bleeding your generation of Honda, here is a write-up

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...leeding-65793/

If that doesn't work just search this forum or type in 'bleeding brakes on a 2001 civic' on Google which is how I got there.

Good luck, and keep that brake fluid flushed, and all others too, to add longevity to your parts. After all, a leaking steering rack, with seals that were fouled from contaminated p/s fluid is far more expensive than your m/c...

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx