Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C on 2007 Civic EX having issues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Default A/C on 2007 Civic EX having issues...

We have an issue where the A/C will initially start to blow cold air but very quickly does nothing but blow air at whatever the environment temperature is.

Since we live in Texas, this is quickly going to become a problem as we head into summer. However, budgeting is a huge issue for me when it comes to this and every bit that I can save while getting the job done is important.

It seems like the system is coming on because it starts initially and also because even when it's not blowing cold air, there is what is best described as a "kick" when the A/C button is pressed with a corresponding, but slight initial change in RPM.

Sooo, I took it to a local shop and they said that the compressor was not turning on but that it was receiving power. They said that the compressor coil would not power up, though. They have recommended a compressor coil replacement w/ evacuation and recharge.

They gave me an estimate of around $650.

Does that seem to be about right in terms of diagnosis and with what I should expect to pay for such a service?

I also contacted another shop that comes highly recommended and they said that they'd want to do their own diagnostic on it but that they'd do that job for $550.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There are simple electrical tests for the compressor coil.

It could also be too wide a gap between the pulley and armature plate. This can be tested with feeler gauges.

Member mk378 has stated in the past that the compressor clutch and coil can be replaced without removing the compressor and disconnecting the refrigerant lines. If so, this would eliminate the cost of evacuating/recharging the system.