Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C NOT COLD!!!

Old 06-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Default A/C NOT COLD!!!

JUST BOUGHT A 93 LX SEDAN....GREAT CONDITION EXCEPT THAT THE A/C DONT WORK! ALL IT DOES IS BLOW NASTY *** AIR AROUND. ANY TIPS? I WAS PLANNING ON PUTTING SOME NEW FREON IN IT. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO DOIT. A LIL HELP FOR THE NEW GUY. PLEASE

Old 06-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: A/C NOT COLD!!!

I'm not sure man, but lately mine has not been as cold as i think it should be. Does anyone out there know what this is about? Mine isn't quite as bad as his sounds, but its just not cold!

Old 06-30-2005, 02:52 PM
HCF Member

Forty04:I think that if your A/C isn't as cold as it should be, first check the condensor fan to make sure it is spinning. If it is spinning, the next thing you should consider is checking the amount of refrigerant in the system.

Frenum822: It is possible that the A/C does not work b/c there is no refrigerant in the system, if this is the case, you can buy R-134a refrigerant at the local autoparts store and a tap for the bottle. You should use the refrigerant and lubricant. You use the tap to put both the refigerant and the lubricant into the low side of A/C with the compressor running. I'm not sure how much refigerant is required for your car, maybe some1 else can help on this. It is also possible that there is enough refrigerant and the compressor, compressor clutch, or another electrical problem is causing the compressor to not run or the condensor fan not to run. There are a bunch of problems that could cause ur A/C not to work. First check if the compressor is actually turning, so check to see that the comp. clutch is engaging. Then check the level of refrigerant.

Old 06-30-2005, 03:50 PM

What is refrigerant?? I have the same problem too, the A/C seems like it's not as cold as it should be. What's the main factor that can affect the cold air? What's the best DIY thing we can do to make the A/C colder??

Old 06-30-2005, 07:32 PM

There's not a lot of trouble shooting you can do yourself on an A/C system, but here's the easy ones:
First, check the compressor and see if the clutch engages and turns. If you're not sure about where the clutch is, have a buddy sit in the car and turn the A/C on and off while you look at the compressor. You should see it engage and disengage.
Second, check the freon level. I'm not sure about Honda, but some makers have a small window in the line that you can see into. If so, you should see a small bubble if there's the proper amount in the system. I've topped my other makes of cars up before and found out that was the proper amount by eye. If there's lots of bubbles, the freon is too low. No bubble, freon is too full. If there isn't a window in a Honda, then you'll just have to try adding some freon until the air gets cold. Thats the only way without a pressure gauge.

Please note: For those who might have some old cans of freon around......make sure you check which type of freon your system uses. The newer systems use R-134a, and not the old R12 freon.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:34 AM

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:44 PM

it says under the hood how many pounds it takes, usually around 1.50 lbs, if you have to fill it to make it work, then theres a leak. the old r12 systems would wear out and just need more freon. but the r134a should last forever, till it leaks out. use a thermometer and it should put out on panel about 55 degrees at an ambient temp of 70 with 40% humidity. hotter then that ambient temp, then it wont put out as cold. a lot of people think it should be freezing while its 90 degrees out.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:12 PM

yeah, my ac isnt as cold as when i 1st bought the car last year...or maybe its bcuz i moved from chicago to vegas! im gona start carrying chuncks of dry ice in the back seat!

Old 07-04-2005, 01:15 PM

It's a good thing I came across this forum, because I have an Civic '99 Sedan which airco doesn't seem to work that good anymore either.
When I bought the car last year, it was checked by an airco station and I even got a report with it. It was tested at 28 Celcius and it reached a temperature of 9.C
Last week I checked and with an outside temp. of 23.C it only blowed air of 13.C

I phoned that airco station and they told me that this was a common problem and asked me to check the BIG hose that comes from the airco radiator. When this one is freezing cold after a couple minutes, the problem is most likely that the warm air from your heater is leaking through it's seal, even while you put it on COLD. At the moment that is what I am guessing my problem is, but it's gonna cost a lot of bucks to get that fixed, I think.
Any help about how to check if the warm air is sealed of, would be appreciated!!!

Old 08-01-2005, 02:07 PM

My a/c is just not blowing cold. I had the compressor changed and put freon in. I had it drained and refilled still not cold enough. I dont know what it is. its like the temperature is not being reached to cool the car inside.Its only cool once the sun goes own but thats not normal. Could it be a block in a line? Any tips?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C NOT COLD!!!