Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cant get spark plug wires to "snap"

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 PM
HCF Member
Default Cant get spark plug wires to "snap"

hello, so just purchased my 1st import, its a 98 civic ex, i was inspecting the plugs, but now i cant get the wires to snap bacu in place. The end that goes down the shaft is so long that you cant get a good grip. Is there a special way to do this?

Old 09-29-2010, 01:03 PM
HCF Member

The metal clips may be too wide/worn to snap in. Pull out the plugs and make sure plugs snap in on metal/wires. You may need to pinch a little if they are not snapping.

With long sleeves and rubbers, sometimes, it is hard to feel that snapping feeling.

Put them in and run the engine. If it runs okay with load, the plug wires are in business.

How many domestic cars have you purchased in the past and worked? I'm just curious.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:10 PM
HCF Member

good idea, they snap fine when I try it outside of engine. and the length seems to be oem when compared to the original ones. im sure it has to do with the brand, i had my brother get them for me at autzone. he is 16, prob went for the chepones and poketed the rest. I have an avalanche and i hear it, and feel it just fine on that...is anyone else having the same issue?

Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 PM
HCF Member

Don't beat him up for it.

Good luck with your new car. If Avalanche is the other car, you want Civic running good.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:24 PM
HCF Member

this is my first import, i got is cause it should be good on gas but im only getting 25mpg, vs the 35 average city/freeway...

Old 09-29-2010, 02:46 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Slammed98silvercoupe
this is my first import, i got is cause it should be good on gas but im only getting 25mpg, vs the 35 average city/freeway...
Something is not right, there. How did plugs looked when you removed. My 90 Civic used get close to 40 mpg until I got rear ended. 80% of driving was on I-95.

I used get 28-9 on 93 Accord, but lately I am getting like 26-7.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 PM
HCF Member

Yea something is or hopefully WAS wrong. So I purchased this car 1 month ago, hoping to get good gas mileage. 26 mpg 1st tank and 25 mpg 2nd tank. The car is a stick & i was hoping to get around 35 mpg. So the guy i purchased the car from said he had just changed fluids, wires, plugs...To figure out the low mpg I tried to remove the plug closest to the pulleys. Well it was stuck(to the point where I had to create new threads using the only old plug that was not seized to the block)!!! I sprayed wd-40 to take it off. After inspecting the spark plugs, they looked terrible. I would say they were on the car for close to 10 years....So I purchased new NGK & installed...Im filling up the tank tomorrow and well see what mpg I get in a week or so...

Old 09-29-2010, 08:40 PM
HCF Member

Oh and also back to the original topic. The fact that I could not get the Spark plug wires to clamp on to the spark plugs. So what I ended up doing was cutting (with a sharp razor blade)the part that bulges out at the top right below the main seal to keep out water and junk. Doing this slimmed the wire enough to get it to slip in properly. The wierd part is that I went to another auto parts chain, diffrent brand but same wire. So how are the rest of yall getting the wires to clamp on? I guess yall are going with honda original parts. I never even bothered to go to dealer since most parts cost an arm and a let, but I guess you get what you pay for...

Old 09-29-2010, 08:41 PM
HCF Member

damm a 90 civic getting 40 mpg, that's great...

Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Slammed98silvercoupe
Oh and also back to the original topic. The fact that I could not get the Spark plug wires to clamp on to the spark plugs. So what I ended up doing was cutting (with a sharp razor blade)the part that bulges out at the top right below the main seal to keep out water and junk. Doing this slimmed the wire enough to get it to slip in properly. The wierd part is that I went to another auto parts chain, diffrent brand but same wire. So how are the rest of yall getting the wires to clamp on? I guess yall are going with honda original parts. I never even bothered to go to dealer since most parts cost an arm and a let, but I guess you get what you pay for...
I, too, use plug wires from AutoZone or Advance Auto on my cars. I go to Honda dealer only when I need "dealer item". I like to keep my arms and legs myself.

I never had problem that bad require cutting of dust boots for installation. On removal, the metal piece got stuck on the plug and the wire came off of it. They have "life time warranty", I had the set replaced with new one. Only to find out that new one did the same thing. At that time, I re-attached the metal myself. I thought it is waste of time and gas to get another crappy one. As crappy as they may be, I still get good mileage, so I don't have problem with that.

Quick Reply: Cant get spark plug wires to "snap"