Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car died, wont start/Rev

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:15 PM
HCF Member
Default Car died, wont start/Rev

I went out cruising with some friends over the weekend.
I was beating on it pretty good for about 30 min. Doing full boost pulls and some hard downshifts along the way.
While cruising in 3rd gear going 45mph I tried stepping on the gas and noticed i wasn't going anywhere, I looked at my A/F gage and noticed that it was leaning out completely when i tried stepping on the gas. My check engine light went on as I pulled into a parking lot and tried revving the engine, and it stalled out.
I went to restart it and it would sound like it would "catch" but then just drop like a rock. I checked for spark and it was sparking.
Tried over and over again until I gave up and just had a friend with a SRT4 pull me over to his house (he lived 10 min away, i live about 20 min from there)

The next day I went over and tried to start it again and it would do the same. as soon as it felt like it was gonna start it would fall on its face.
Tried spraying starting fluid and it would start maybe1/10 attempts.
And when it did start it would not rev past 2k RPM.
and run PIG RICH. A/F was over 10:1 (aem gage cant read anything lower than that)

When it did start, Check Engine light went on for MAP SENSOR. Im thinking its the same code that went on the first time it stalled. Code doesn't save once the car is shut off.

I have hondata S300 so Im able to look at some sensors and such, but it all looks "normal" to me. TPS sensor reads right, not choppy or anything.

I tried checking timing today, But i failed since my little compressor tank seems to not have what it takes to get my pulley off. (Dont have my timing belt cover on atm, kept rubbing the pulley)
I have an adjustable cam gear, I stuck my dipstick in #1 cylinder and turned the crank until the cam gear was at TDC and the dipstick went up to the top. Im assuming timing is correct/close to it, UNTIL i can find a way to check with my crank lined up to my oil pump timing line.

IMG_20130402_134343.jpg Photo by daone54 | Photobucket

Does the symptoms seem like belt jumped?
Why would it start SOMETIMES 1/10 times i try
What are some things i should check when i go over and take a look at it again?

Im running 440cc injectors
3 bar map
on S300. Im tunned for boost. It was all running fine prior to this (been running on this set up for about 2-3 months)

One thing i do find "weird is my map sensor reading" heres a video of it when it finally wants to run
And my vacuum reads about 10 while its idleing. it would usually be around 16-17.
And there is no vacuum leaks i can hear or see.

Any help is appreciated.
THANKS!

Last edited by DaOne; 04-02-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Checking the piston is as good as looking at the marks on the crank. So, you don't need to take the pulley off just to check timing.

You should also make sure the camshaft itself is in sync with the gear. Set engine to TDC1 and remove the distributor, and the slot in the end of the cam should be vertical (perpendicular to the top of the head).

MAP sensor can be checked with a voltmeter, or swap it if you have an extra one.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 AM
HCF Member

Thanks for the reply mk378.
I will check to make sure the distributor is perpendicular, once at TDC for #1.
But the map sensor wouldn't make it act the way its acting, or would it?
I just find it weird that the map sensor is reading 29.1 while its idling at 10 vacuum. But then again I don't remember looking at it while it was working properly.

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 PM
HCF Member

I Checked the distributor timing and its spot on. While cam is at TDC, the rotor points towards #1.
Would a bad map sensor cause a no start up condition?
I'm out of ideas now.
I got a brand new distributor too.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 PM
HCF Member

All it was is a faulty MAP sensor.
Thankfully it didn't go bad while under boost...

Thanks again Mk.