Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car feels like its stalling while driving but not losing power.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:40 AM
Default Car feels like its stalling while driving but not losing power.

Sorry if this is answered I don't have time to search before work.

I have a manual 96 civic hatch with a d16y8 in it. for the last couple of months when I was driving at like 40mph all the sudden the whole car would stop accelerating and everyone was thrown forward for a second and then it went back to normal. As much as this was annoying it was very infrequent. As of this weekend it is now Frequent. It is happening even when going into and when in low gears making it kind of scary to go into main roads not sure if my car will keep accelerating. The car doesn't actually stall and if I punch the gas is starts moving normal again. It doesn't really feel like any gears are slipping which is why I am thinking sensor or fuel system.

The car has a normal IDle, new plugs, wires, battery, pcv. After replacing all of that I decided not good on the wallet to keep making blind guesses. I ordered a new fuel pump in hopes of that fixing the problem but it won't be here till the end of next week. It is also throwing a CEL but it goes off as soon as I restart the car and my mechanic can't pull the code because of the swap... Also I put in an AEM high flow filter about 8 months ago would this be clogged already? I only use premium pump gas and every month use lucas fuel system cleaner.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Chubby Chaser

It is also throwing a CEL but it goes off as soon as I restart the car and my mechanic can't pull the code because of the swap...
what do you mean this? you should still be able to get the codes, check your fuses under the hood, you can pull the codes yourself when the cel is on.
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557

i dont think at all its your fuel pump so dont waste your $$$,
have you pulled your main fuel relay and opened it up and looked at it? the soldering points are known to get hairline cracks, its a real easy fix just resolder them and then hook the relay back up.
Name:  0924091606.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  10.1 KB
Name:  mainrelaybroken.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  32.6 KB

you have to look really really good, but if in doubt just resolder anyways

Old 11-05-2009, 09:04 AM

I will check the Relay and CEL code when I get out tonight. Sadly I already bought fuel Pump. I may put it in anyway I got a walbo 190 lph based on a friends recommendation.

Also another issue is I don't know if its just coincidence. I filled the gas tank and drove to class about an hour out and it didn't happen. But thinking the difference of a full tank and half tank might point towards pump...

However CEL still came on when I started the car. I will get details on the CEL tonight.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by tcpbryson
However CEL still came on when I started the car.
do you mean the 3 secs when you first turn key on to start?

Old 11-05-2009, 08:45 PM

It depends. Sometimes its right when I start the car but usually its 20+ min after i've been driving that the CEL turns on.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:23 PM

does this sound like something that could be caused by an over clogged ram air filter?