Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car feels loose and wobbly

Old 06-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Default car feels loose and wobbly

My 2004 civic is at 167000km's
When i take turns or hit bumps my car feels 'loose' and wobbly... NO Noise or anything else.. what can be the problem?
I know one thing that driver side sway bar link is broken .. would that be the cause

Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 PM
HCF Member

Not an expert on broken sway bars.

However, you didn't mentioned if it feels loose and wobble when turning to the left or right. It wobbles generally right?

Take it to the dealership and have em' inspect the suspension.

Alternatively, if you want to save costs, you can take her to a tyre alignment shop. The experts out there, can pinpoint the issue within just a few mins or less.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:46 AM

it feels loose and wobbly turning both ways. also when i go over the bump car feeels loose

Old 06-02-2013, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

This definitely seems like an alignment issue. When was the last time you got her checked up at the tyre shop? What about wheel balancing and rotation?

Take her to a tyre shop first. Have them inspect the tyres and suspension. Then decide if there is a need to get the suspension checked up at the dealership.

Cheers.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by azi90
I know one thing that driver side sway bar link is broken .. would that be the cause
Duh.

Likely also wear and damage to other suspension parts too. Also having the alignment at negative toe-in (i.e. toed out) makes a car very uncertain of its direction.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hi Octane
This definitely seems like an alignment issue. When was the last time you got her checked up at the tyre shop? What about wheel balancing and rotation?

Take her to a tyre shop first. Have them inspect the tyres and suspension. Then decide if there is a need to get the suspension checked up at the dealership.

Cheers.
I do have alignment problem too.. its not too bad tho... car steers to left on hwy speed.

and previously i did got suspension checked because to me car seemed pretty bumpy. and more than 3 mechanics told me cars suspensions looks fine.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 PM

if i was to describe the problem the way it feels is

1 When i take a turn it feels like my rear tires are loose or something hence the car feels loose
2 right after im done taking the turn it feels like one of the tires of my car are different size than other one so imagine how it wuld feel if the tires were mis matched size..
I have got checked my tires they are all balanced and fine and proper size ...

Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by azi90
if i was to describe the problem the way it feels is

1 When i take a turn it feels like my rear tires are loose or something hence the car feels loose
2 right after im done taking the turn it feels like one of the tires of my car are different size than other one so imagine how it wuld feel if the tires were mis matched size..
I have got checked my tires they are all balanced and fine and proper size ...
You have had them balanced. That's good. So I'm assuming there's no need for wheel rotation. Also, how's the tread on all four tyres?

You will need to have the tyres re-aligned, just in case, and ask the tech to do the factory stock settings.

Check tyre pressure.

After all this, if there's still an issue, then there may be maintainence work needed on the suspension. Get that broken sway bar fixed in the meantime.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hi Octane
You have had them balanced. That's good. So I'm assuming there's no need for wheel rotation. Also, how's the tread on all four tyres?

You will need to have the tyres re-aligned, just in case, and ask the tech to do the factory stock settings.

Check tyre pressure.

After all this, if there's still an issue, then there may be maintainence work needed on the suspension. Get that broken sway bar fixed in the meantime.
Tire rotation has been done too 2000kms ago . And thread on tires are good too. May be tire pressure needs to be checked. Also if I do have to do maintenance work on suspension what wuld it be?

Old 06-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

First of course you would fix anything that is obviously broken...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: car feels loose and wobbly