Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car from hell

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Default Car from hell

Ok, I got a 98 civic ex about 2 months ago, and for the most part is has been sitting more than I've been able to drive it. The idiot who had it before me had not taken care of it in the very least. Anywho, the reason for this post is my current issue, and possibly help with some others.

A few days back I noticed that the headlights would flicker, like the power was fluctuating, well the other night they went completely out. Thank god I was near home. Now when ever I turn on the car the lights on the gauge cluster are doing the same thing, but the engine's rpm's are also fluctuating rapidly. I checked the fuses, and none of them are blown. Could it be the headlight relay that is causing this mess?

Second issue is the fact that I am getting 19mpg. I've taken it to a mechanic and we figured out that it needs the timing belt/waterpump done, as well has having new plugs and plug wires put in. I was also recommended to get a valve adjustment done. I'm good with a wrench as long as i have instructions in front of me and I have the proper tools, but alas all I have is a simple tool set. The engine is not the original, it was a swap done with the same 98 engine just the std version (non v-tech). The car is an automatic.

Thank you for any help that I get.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check for fuse 15 problem (frayed wires behind the engine, search for it). This will cause low and pulsating output voltage from the alternator. All the lights on the car will then flicker. If the headlights never come on at all now, check the bulbs first. An alternator malfunction can cause excessive voltage and burn them out.

Assuming the engine is basically OK, wrong spark timing will kill your mpg. Check it with a timing light. Also check for ECU codes. If the CEL is not on it could be because the bulb was removed or burnt out. Turn the key on but not all the way to start to check the bulb.

Last edited by mk378; 10-18-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM

Thank you much for the advice, I will check on those things as soon as I am able.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Another thing that will make it guzzle gas is to have the fuel pressure regulator compensation hose disconnected (the little vacuum hose from the top end of the regulator that goes back to the intake manifold)-- or using an aftermarket adjustable regulator in a misguided attempt to add more power.