Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car stalling / Light illuminating

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Default Car stalling / Light illuminating

My '93 Civic CX is having on again off again issues with the Malfunction light and engine stalling. It began last year when the light came on. Not knowing what it was, I grabbed the manual which indicated it was an engine or emissions system problem. It states to turn off the vehicle, then turn it back on and start. If the light returns, take to repairs now, if not, take to repairs when possible. It did this a few times and hasn't returned this year until today. Since it didn't come on again, I forgot about having it checked. Though, this time, I was on my way into work and the car died. I coasted to the service drive, turned the car off while coasting and started up again. It didn't get too far until it died again. Finally ready to give in and call for assistance, I tried again to start and it made it to work (about 8 miles) and it dies again as I pulled into my work lot.

We have a mechanic on site and he listened for the fuel pump cycling after I turn the key on, which it was. I turned the key off and on several times to ensure pump cycling and it worked every time. We were planning to get a code reading but we can't find the computer data connector to determine code. I'm wondering if it even has one, which is one reason for this thread. If this car has a connector, where is it located? If not, can anyone offer a suggestion what the problem may be?

BTW, the car will still start, but I'm very apprehensive how far it'll get me before it stops again and I'm concerned that may be the last time.

Thank you for any help provided.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 AM
HCF Member

My guess is check into your main relay..

Old 07-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Models 1992-1995 have an OBD1 system which means it is read by installing a simple jumper wire into the test connector, then turn the key on but don't start, and count the blinks of the check engine light.

The test connector is on the right side panel of the car in front of the door, just below the top of the carpet. Pull the carpet down and notice there is a big wire harness there with two small connectors that don't plug into anything. The one with two wires is the one to use. The one with 3 wires is for specialized test equipment.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Thank you for the help.

I obtained 3 codes (or 4 depending how I read the 3rd).

First one blinked 8 times.

Second one blinked 9 times.

Third one blinked 1 long then 5 short, thus I assume it's 15 and hopefully not a 1 and a 5.

I was able to obtain the code list from our mechanic and now, I'm wondering what the heck these things are. Can anyone shed light on these parts and if they are something I can replace/repair on my own?

8 = TDC Position Sensor
9 = No. 1 Cylinder Position (CYL Sensor)
15 = Ignition Output Signal

If it was a 1 and 5 instead of 15, then 1 = Oxygen Sensor and 5 = Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)

Thanks again.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When you have multiple codes, take note of what they are, then clear them (pull "BACK-UP" fuse under the hood for 10 seconds then replace, or disconnect the battery with the key off), and drive until the CEL comes on again. Immediately check to see which code re-occured first. That one is usually most closely related to the root of the problem.

Codes 8 and 9 are sensors inside the distributor. Code 15 I think could be the igniter unit in the distributor, or it could mean the ECU itself is bad.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
When you have multiple codes, take note of what they are, then clear them (pull "BACK-UP" fuse under the hood for 10 seconds then replace, or disconnect the battery with the key off), and drive until the CEL comes on again. Immediately check to see which code re-occured first. That one is usually most closely related to the root of the problem.

Codes 8 and 9 are sensors inside the distributor. Code 15 I think could be the igniter unit in the distributor, or it could mean the ECU itself is bad.
Thank you MK.

Do I need to have the ignition on or should it be off when I pull the fuse?

I pulled it with the car off. On my way home from work today, it stalled again and left me stranded for about 15 minutes after several attempts to start with no success. I was contacting a tow company when I tried starting one more time and it started. I made it home and as soon as I pulled in the garage, I did another test and received the same codes. That is why I am wondering if I cleared the codes properly.