Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car Stuttering, Bogging, or Stalling while accelerating at 1st gear

Old 01-01-2009, 05:49 PM
HCF Member
Cool Car Stuttering, Bogging, or Stalling while accelerating at 1st gear

Just me again trying to work out the bugs. I started driving it daily 50 miles a day in all sorts of weather. Well anyway, I have a 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback Si with a D16z6 motor with a Manual Transmission. My car just intermittently started Stuttering or Stalling while accelerating in first gear after starting it in the morning. This is with the clutch already engaged so it is not the clutch bogging. When I press the gas pedal, it will not respond for about 2 seconds and and then start surging and bucking. I don't think that the engine was revving during the 2 second stall. The distributer, spark plugs, spark plug wires were replaced in June 2008. The idle air control valve looks clean but I have not taken it apart because a tech at Honda told me that when he cleaned out his IACV it got worse. I don't have a CEL light on and I have Chevron gasoline in the tank. In addition, this happens only when you start the car after at least a 30 minute rest. After the initial first gear take off, it will not do it again at other stop signs. In fact, it hasn't done it at night after work 10 hours resting. It has done it the other day in the morning driving it for 30 minutes and turned off the car for 35 minutes and started the car again and accelerated in first gear and it stalled or was not responsive to the gas pedal for two seconds and then it starts suring until I let off the gas. I only let it warm up for 15 seconds when I first started it in the morning. Subsequent 1st gear accelerations did not do it. 10 hours later after work , it stopped doing it. Is it possible for the computer to hiccup sometimes when you start it in the morning?

Old 01-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the coolant temperature sensor and fuel pressure regulator, and also clean the IACV/EACV and the fast idle valve on the throttle body.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You might look up in the service manual and do the ohmmeter tests on the coolant temperature and intake air temperature sensors. They could be out of spec, but not far enough to trigger a code.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 AM
HCF Member

Thanks for the advise guys! I will check on those items. Could a clogged Air filter or fuel filter cause this as well? A failing or bad fuel pump would cause the car to stutter in every gear especially in fifth gear at higher speeds because it would put the fuel pump under the most load right?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:00 PM

Idle air control for sure...clean it and oil the plunger shaft