Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car won't start... turn the key and car doesn't do anything???

Old 11-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Default Car won't start... turn the key and car doesn't do anything???

When I put the key in the ignition the car will not start. There are no sounds or anything. All I can hear is a solenoid clicking once but that is it. I tried a new battery and nothing changed. The headlights, radio, power locks, dash, and everything works. When I try to turn the key nothing happens at all??? Anyone else ever have this problem? Thanks in advance for your help!

It's a 98 Civic LX Auto...

Old 11-11-2006, 12:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Car won't start... turn the key and car doesn't do anything???

most likely your ignition solenoid is gone... get a new starter.. sumtimes if you just play with it it'll start working again or tap the starter solenoid.. only works for short time though

Old 11-11-2006, 12:42 PM

I'm going to the part store right now to find a new starter. Wish me luck!

Old 11-11-2006, 02:22 PM
HCF Member

best of luck 2 ya..

Old 11-11-2006, 02:35 PM

No luck with the parts. Noone had them in stock. The starter at Autozone cost $170 and they don't carry the solenoid. At the dealer its $530 for the starter and $333 for the solenoid. Does that sound right for the solenoid?

The solenoid that is making the click whenver I turn the ignition is on the passengers side of the glove box. Is that would I should try to tap on to see if it will start or knock on the starter itself?

The worst part is I just had the timing belt, water pump, all the belts, and raditor hoses replaced to keep this car on the road. Now it won't start.... what a kick in the face.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:53 PM
HCF Member

Since you hear a click, the solenoid is in fact engaging. I would check the wiring to the starter to make sure that the starter is getting power. The problem could be that the coil in the starter is burned out.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:14 PM

I'm going to check now to see if the starter is in fact getting any power... A new starter would be an easy fix to get her back on the road.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:21 PM
HCF Member

And you can try your local junk yard for starter, too. Or, if you are mechnically inclined, you can try to fix it yourslef. This could be something as easy as brushes...

Old 11-11-2006, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

just because the solenoid is clicking and is engaging dont mean that it's sending power to the starter.. what you need to do is find out what is clicking.. is it the solenoid or the starter... sumtimes the starter will get in a bind n all you need to do is turn the car over by hand a few times n if your lucky the starter will free it self.. but if not look to buy a new starter.. n yes id see if power is making it to the starter... if not it's the solenoid id say thats the problem.. if it is the solenoid the part thats clicking if you tap it you sumtimes not always can get it to work best to just get a new 1

Old 11-11-2006, 04:18 PM
HCF Member

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Fuses yet... Check the Fuses man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car won't start... turn the key and car doesn't do anything???