Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

92 Civic power steering stuck when cold

Old 01-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Default 92 Civic power steering stuck when cold

92 Civic DX hatchback, non-Calif. AT

Power steering suddenly not working when cold (~20 oF) in AM; nearly impossible to turn the wheel (for my wife). When I get home from work, and it's warmer (~30 oF), it works fine (for me). When it behaves, as it does 99% of the time, it does drive fine, no weird noises or grinding, not loose (though I would say that the variable-assist PS is no longer as "tight" at high speeds as it once was, but the car's nearly 20 years old!

This just began a week ago (I live just north of New York city), and has now happened several times. Since the PS fluid reservoir was just below lower line, I topped it up (Honda fluid!). No obvious leaks (I checked by putting some paper under the car, and watching for drips for a few days, including turning wheel from lock to lock over the paper).

Some folks have suggested it's the rack & pinion going, but again, no noises, no leaks.

Is it the pump? Or should I just flush the system (never has been flushed, as far as I know, in 20 years). How do you do that?

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When it does not work, is the pump turning? It could just be a loose belt. In that case you would likely hear squealing when it does not work.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:23 PM

mk378, I just tested it (it's 20 oF)... and of course it worked fine (grrr...Murphy's law!). Belt looks appropriately tight, and pump is rotating. Will try test again tomorrow AM.

But, my wife says that each time it has failed (always when very cold), there has been no noise (grinding, etc.), and no squealing. Just normal (quiet) engine sound.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 AM

Tested again (20 oF). Steering indeed "stuck", i.e. power assist not working. Soft clicking noise from the PS pump area. Revved engine to ~3500 rpm; did not immediately make the PS work better, but after ~30 sec the clicking noise was gone. As it warmed up, PS got stronger.

Bad pump? Or I see there is a master (check?) valve. Could it be that?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It could be the valve in the rack too. When it is cold and not working look in the reservoir to see if fluid is circulating, that would mean the pump is working to some degree. Fluid circulates freely through the system when no one is turning the steering wheel. When power assist is needed, the control valve in the rack diverts the fluid to exert pressure on the sliding part. If the fluid keep going freely even when someone is turning the wheel, I would think the valve in the rack is stuck.